[BUILD] The Rude Tube IVORY ====== Official build & support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I`m interested in this project. Looking at frontpanels.de, there is a Rude Tube Mastering. What differs in this version from the Ivory? Is it based on the same pcb`? I see there are no tone controls on this one. I presume it`s more in the vein of a CultureVulture Mastering style tube-warmer thingy?  8)

Your assumptions are absolutely right. The RT Ivory is based on a fender champ preamp with tone stack whereas the RT mastering is more or less a tube warmer/distortion unit. The Ivory can do distortion quite nice as well.  It's the first project Tony and I did together. For the RT mastering there a currently no boards available. We hope to release a new version in the future. Both projects are completely different. Go for the Ivory, easy to build, sounds fantastic.
Bernd

This project will be active as long as people want it to be active  ;D
For a tube project it's rather cheap. Most expensive parts are transformers and enclosure. There are only a handful of components and a tube.
Bernd

Hi,

I've been on the lookout for a good tube distortion unit for a while, mainly to add some weight, dirt and space to my synths, drums and entire mixes. Seeing this and hearing the demos, my attention was immediately caught. Only problem is, I have absolutely no experience with DIY electronics projects.

Would you recommend this as a viable alternative to Culture Vulture in terms of flexibility?

What would you estimate the build time to be, considering that I am a complete noob in building electronics?

How much will you estimate that components will cost (I live in Denmark)? 200, 400, 600 dollars?

Also, thanks for doing this!

Best regards
Anders

just got rid off the C1M 22nf: jumpered it,
replaced 4.7uf cathode bypass caps with 100uf... i like it better on low end now  8)

for CV, u need theRudeTube

Got a stereo set of pcbs from fellow forum member, looking forward to building this one up! Will be my first tube-project.

What is involved in hooking up the di-inputs vs line inputs?

Hi,
Your link doesn't work. When using 6,3VAC secondary you don't need to stuff that part on the psu (yellow column) . Hum shouldn't be a problem here. When you want to go the save route you should order these parts, but then you need a transformer with 9VAC secondary.
Bernd

Updated the link to the tt-t56

When you want to go the save route you should order these parts, but then you need a transformer with 9VAC secondary.

Not sure if I understand you?

Also, on another topic. Is the Ivory is expecting to be fed and output instrument-level signals?

Going by this pic:

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/transformer_hookup.JPG

it looks like the DI input is fed directly into the unit. So, the input and output transformers are needed in order to use it with balanced line levels?

Afaik, instrument-level and line levels differ in both amplitude and impedance....?

It has been discussed here in this thread already.  Balanced operation is of course possible by using input and output transformers. I use my Ivory unbalanced, because of the extra gain you have for tube saturation. When feeding signal directly into the unit, there is a switch for line and hi Z sources.

Options concerning AC or DC heater supply have been discussed here as well.
Direct current heater: buy a transformer with 9V secondary and stuff all the components on the psu board.
Alternate current heater: buy a transformer with 6,3 V secondary and leave out the corresponding components on the psu boards. 6,3V from transformer is directly  wired to the tube pins.
Bernd

for balanced output i used purposely LL5402, it cuts bass and thinner sounding (  i already have RT for full sound)
if u want fuller sound,  u need 10k:600  for output!

Thanks for the info guys.

A quick question about terminal blocks. The one`s in the bom for the Phoenix`es from Mouser are pretty expensive. I was wondering if I could sub them for these: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/terminal-blocks/pcb-mount/dg301-screw-terminal-block-3-positions-5mm.html

The Phoenix`es are rated for 400V 17,5A, while the Tayda ones are rated for 300V 15A. Are they a safe sub?

Hi

Just got a couple pcb sets, great project.
I m gonna use this project to clear out some leftover components and some recycled components. I have a couple of questions regarding the power trafos.

I have a spare Gpultec trafo rated 220v 50ma and 9v 1a secondaries, would that be enough?
And to get 12v on v+,  what would you recommend? i have some 15v and some 18v leftover.

Thanks in advance

bernbrue said:
Hi,
Your powertransformer  should work fine for a single channel, maybe even for a dual version. Take the 15vac for the 12V rail.
Bernd

Thanks for your reply! I was hopping the thread wasn't forgotten.
I m doing a dual, I use the same power trafo on a heater for a dual Gpultec and it works fine so i will give it a try first.

Latest posts

Back