Sontec EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeromeMason

Can someone point me in the direction for the Sontec EQ kits or PCB's? I've searched everywhere and everytime I get a lead the link is dead. I just need to find where to buy the PCB or if there is a full kit.

I'd really really appreciate any help,

Thanks!!

Jerome Mason

Do you mean something like this :)

Will be available for one week as whole tested kit.

EQ_DIY.jpg

Looking at the PCBs, your circuit will behave significantly different compared to a Sontec EQ. Good luck with your endeavour.

Center tapped potentiometers come with at least 4 pins, your pcb has 3 holes for this pot.
One DIL-8 (probably dual) opamp on filter board. Different requirements for these opamps might/will not have them in the same housing. Not knowing parts values of your corresponding circuit behind, at least these discrepancies seem obvious.

I'd really love for someone to make a kit for the Sontech or the Nightpro..... I'm really needing an eq for my buss and theres basically nothing out there besides eq's that add something.... I just want clean, maybe an air boost like the Nightpro. Does anyone anywhere know of a kit I can look into buying??? It seems Igor was the only one doing the Sontech, and the guy that was doing the Nightpro doesn't do it anymore.

I honestly would love to have the Nite eq.... that's a really great eq, and they are not expensive in the least bit. Seems like someone would get this going, especially with all the hybrid rigs these days.

DIY Racked forum , is not a guy I'd trust [ and especialy not with my money ]

note the sontec needs some more expensive pots and will be more so overall than the nite eq , [ a cheaper cost eq ]
also there was an orban designed DBX  " project " eq that was respectable , parametric .

okgb said:
note the sontec needs some more expensive pots

Thats exactly where I am at. I wanted to hold off completing a design until I knew where to source the pots, but I have not had any luck yet.

Going for round 3 with Alpha. Omeg is much more expensive, but easier to communicate with, so I may try them after.

Gustav

frazzman said:
Surprised there are not more people looking at the Net EQ, which is as good if not better....

I've looked into this, but I can't find a discussion page that tells you where and what parts are needed, and where and who provides the cases. I see the PCB's, that's the easy part, but I cannot find everything else like you would in a normal build thread. It's seems like Igors Sontech was the last one to provide all of that for an EQ of this type.

Unless.... someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be glad to give the net eq a try. It's a lovely design and I've heard nothing but great things about them as well.

Jerome

lubosko said:
Harpo: 4 pin in pot is earth
No. The 4th. pin of the single deck pot needed is the pots center tap connection to the resistive trace. In this circuit this resistive trace center spot is then connected to 0V reference voltage. An off axix 5th.and/or 6th. pin will connect to the single deck pot housing for shielding purpose.

Yes I understand. We talking about this schematics or ... ?

Attachments

• schem_upd.GIF
    300.8 KB · Views: 212
Schematic shows an -what I'd call- 'Igortec', Igors implementation of an EQ partly similar to a Sontec MEP-250A.
Center tapped level pot function is nearly the same (without the 7K5 resistors connecting to the level pots outer connections and shape setting parts values, borrowed from a GML circuit). To the best of my knowledge noone ever built a kit of a Sontec clone and I don't understand the desire of sailing under false flags. At least he could have called it maybe Songtec in order to differentiate from Mr. McNeals builds.

Harpo said:
Schematic shows an -what I'd call- 'Igortec', Igors implementation of an EQ partly similar to a Sontec MEP-250A.
Center tapped level pot function is nearly the same (without the 7K5 resistors connecting to the level pots outer connections and shape setting parts values, borrowed from a GML circuit). To the best of my knowledge noone ever built a kit of a Sontec clone and I don't understand the desire of sailing under false flags. At least he could have called it maybe Songtec in order to differentiate from Mr. McNeals builds.

the matter is that for being an original Sontec MEP-250A are needed the original sontec opamps inside it, we cannot speak of an original sontec without them in any case.

Yes OK, Songtec sounds pretty good  :) My design is based on this schematic, and I think it's no bad sounding EQ. Maybe the best ideas from both worlds.

Latest posts

Back