FIRE and SMOKE!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scenaria

I leave my computer on 24/7

woke up this morning to the smell of smoke...

yep... it was one of the monitors... friggen flames shooting out the top of it!!! bout crapped my pants.

I'll take some pix later.

:shock:

Never leave monitors on when they're not in use. They frequently cause fires (as do TVs)...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Might be just the look ('putter) moders just might wan't. Over clocked Fire Paint! Can I patent it?

Can't wait to see pics.

Cheers,

Mike Stromsoe

Ya dude, NEVER leave monitors on when you're not in front of it! Same thing happened to me (minus the flames) not too long ago. I had just turned on the machine and the monitor in the morning then jumped in the shower. Came out to find the place filled with blue smoke :shock: I opened up the monitor to see what happened and found that an entire section of the pcb had melted...resistors and regulators were burned to a crisp!! A friend of mine almost burned down his office when his monitor caught fire while on a coffee break.

Whoooo,

Bad one. Glad you caught it. A friend of mine got burnt quite badly from a TV fire. When monitors go they tend to go in a spectacular fashion.

When we were kids, me and my mates used to drag all the old TV chassis from the TV shop, wire them up (with like green pictures and stuff!) and shoot them with air rifles :green:

You soon get to know all the interesting fault modes of a TV set this way- and man do they love setting themselves on fire!

Jaakko does a good line on monitors on evilbay :wink:

Mark

Hopefully the time will come soom when LCD displays are so cheap we can ditch CRT's for most stuff and stop irradiating ourselves. Mind you, I have never seen an LCD or TFT with anything like the resolution of a CRT.

I guess this means turn off the monitor, even if it is one of those types that turn themselves off after a little time, or is that just sleep mode?
Will they cook even in sleep mode?
SMoke alarm, dude!

Scenaria, your scarin the sh*t out of me. I'm having bad dreams of my studio going up in flames!

I'll be gettin out the paper, writin down serial numbers, and takin photos.
Gettin my insurance dude on the phone to make sure they know what their covering still.

Nothin like wakin up sweatin. I got up at o'early this morning and walked out to the studio just to make sure I still had one

:?

I had an electrolux vacuum cleaner go up in blue sparks and then flames - a scary moment. Luckily it was under guarantee. I asked for my money back.

Serves me right for cleaning when I should have been DIYing

Ouch, that's real bad !

Must admit I regulary leave a big 21" CRT on for hours while the machine is running a complete Virus-check (CRT with brightness turned low- but that won't help much here).

In the meantime I go shopping, doing other things in the house etc etc.

Not anymore ! :shock:

Time to hookup a TFT...

Please don't tell me the same about washing machines, answering machines, fridges, ..., ... :sad:

insurance is a good thing... itemized is a must and specialty items are even more important when insuring

About 5 years ago my house was broken into.... Had home owners insurance but nothing special...

5 months prior to the break in I had purchased a protools Mix+++++ and 6 888/24's along with a USD.... I had a few 30 space rackes packed with midi modules.. a small mackie 8-bus and some mic's o/b gear etc... Oh and about $18 thousand in sound effect libraries (my friend worked for soundelux... AKA Hollywood edge series)

make a long story short....

most of the above was stolen out of my house... trying to claim these things was a total nightmare... protools they though was like a "sound card" they couldnt understand that it was a $35k system.. etc.... try and explain to insurance what SFX libraries are... they just see them as normal cd's for $13 each and cant understand how a 5 cd library can cost $700...

It was my fault for not having itemized the assets earlier in the year when this stuff started to make home in my house...

All said and done I only got about 40% of what I lost in terms of a payout.. I was pretty bummed... to make matters worse my agent basically said that if something like this happened again they would pay and drop me.... as the studio equip was too much of a liability wihtout having had specific insurance for it...

now that I seem to find myself with a large desk, tape machines bloo la2's etc... laying about I have no choice than to step up and pay the price...

read all of the fine print... and always keep your agent in the loop.... if you have alot of studio equip you might need to take out a sepparate policy...

now I have a policy for the gear.... a monitored alarm system a shotgun and a pitbull... :green: if the crooks are lucky they'll face the shotgun before the dog :green:

I think I have added two different sums to my insurance company, one sum for normal stuff and one for high risk stuff. When I calculated, my normal sum was MUCH less than the high risk (TV, stereo, CD's, STUDIO EQUIPMENT etc etc etc).

Thanks for taking this up anyway. I have to call my insurance company and see that everything is ok. I don't think they will beleive all the stuff that I have crammed in to a small one bedroom flat, I woudn't...

I like the pitbull system. I have one dog left although not for long as he is old, blind, and arthritic. When I had two I felt my gear was very secure and never had to worry about it.

Keeping current with your insurance company is a must. Take photos of receipts put next to the item it is for. You can't argue a photo with serial numbers matching the receipt / invoice. I even engrave my last four of my SS# somewhere inside the chassis.

NWSM

everyone thought my kitty was friendly but since I shaved him up all spiffy, the ridicule he has to face, his disposition has really turned him into a fine guard animal that I'd put up next to an unshaven pit bull anyday.

dave

yea she is a real meany!

heheh

Picture_032.jpg

Ya, but a word of advice for skatin by Scenarias pitbull......

Bring a sack of poop!

mmmmmm..... tasty.......

ju < who had a 170 english mastiff who was also a poop eater

she likes burgers too :)

oh

and cats...

she likes to play with her "stuffed squirrel" toy... she see's a cat and wants to play with it.. but well... as you can imagine the worse happens :\ pretty sad really... its happened twice... both times she knew she did something wrong after the fact... actually was depressed for a good 7 to 10 days

I mentioned the problem with monitors flaming to a friend who said it was caused by the cheap flyback transformers commonly used in monitors. Not that this helps solve the problem or anything. I guess turning them off is the best solution, but if the flyback really is the problem, the ones that go into standby would be OK.

damn, scenaria! that animal looks like a fine candidate for a shave! I reccomend those new gilette razors with the three blades.

dave

Holy Crap! I have the same question CJ brought up; isn't sleep mode supposed to keep them from using less energy, thereby not becoming an indoor barbeque? 'Cause if it isn't, I'm gonna have to install some automatic fire suppression!

Also, I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't just a little too much dust that might have contributed to this. . . (as I reach for the Pledge, and the compressed air!) :green: :twisted:

Back