? re: Yamaha PM-1000 output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakbeltjonez

i've got a pair of PM-1000 modules that i'm going to be "racking" up (well...they are a bit too long to be racked, i'll have to build an enclosure for them since i don't really want to mutilate anything).

looking at the schematics, everything seems to be pretty straightforward and i tracked down what goes where. but i have a pair of the GA80080 600ohm/600ohm output balancing transformers from the master/monitor modules that i'd like to use for the input modules. i couldn't find a reference to the color-coding in the schematic.

do most trannys have a standard color coding for in/out/ground (i guess in & out don't really matter in a 1:1 transformer)? colors are red, brown, blue, green & black.

any insight would, of course, be greatly appreciated...

apparantly there's a point in the input strip that has enough poop to do it - not from an echo send, though, those definitely don't. there have been a few DIY'ers who have done it successfully, my only remaining mystery is how the tranny is wired..... i'll be damned if i can find anything about that anywhere.

Yeah, if you take from the negative side of C37, there is plenty of poop to do it. Sounds great too. I would triple the value of C37 though.

The wiring diagram for the output transformer, and the correct colors is on the following image:

PM1000Wiringdiagraminputmoduleforoutputtransformer.jpg

oh man, thanks..... tubejay, you are my new hero - i shall dress in chicken feathers and sacrifice a goat on the roof of my house in your honor! :grin:

so the black wire just flaps around doing nothing in this case, i guess?

other question i forgot to ask, is it possible to get an unbalanced output from one leg of the secondary? i'd like to have an unbalanced out to get some iron goodness but still be able to come back in to an unbalanced insert on my 02R or into something that might need it (just trying to think of future flexibility). i guess it'd be still +4 coming off one leg...

I love it when people sacrifice goats for me!! Sweet! As long as you say, "bitch...I'm sorry" after you're done.

Okay, that was weird. I just drank a couple Harps (man, this is a nice Lager) and am feeling kind of special right now.

I'm probably not the best guy to ask about the unbalanced thing. I don't see why taking the + side wouldn't work. I don't know if it matters having that low leg blowing in the wind out there or not. I'm not sure if it will like not being tied to ground, or something. I just don't know.

I should mention that if you are using the original transformers, it is a LITTLE quieter than the master buss outs...but honestly, it's still plenty loud. I might try an OEP 1:2 transformer just to see what it sounds like. I just did a bunch of recording with the direct outs tonight, and they sound great. I did a bunch of vocals, and there was plenty of juice. However, I usually have to have the gain switch up one notch higher compaired to the buss outs.

I don't know if you've seen the EQ mods I've done, but changing the 1KHz EQ to 700Hz is a great mod if you want an eq to cut some of the mud out. It really made the EQ more useful to me.

yeah, i had been thinking about adjusting at least one of the freq's down into the low-mids (down around 3-400 Hz is where my head was at) but even after looking at all the chit-chat about changing the EQ i wasn't sure whether it was going to be a good thing or not. i'll have to give it a whirl...

Latest posts

Back