WIMA Capacitors in GSL Clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

I'm going to be building another pair of SSL clones for myself in the next month or so. I was thinking about using WIMA MKS02 caps in this pair... at least for the 100n shunt caps. For the power supply 100n I will probably just use Panasonic polyesters since they are cheaper.

In this clone, they also have some 22u and 100u in the signal path. Is there a suitable WIMA series that could be used for this applications? I've heard WIMA caps sound amazing, and I have used a couple pieces of gear that have WIMAs, but I have no personal experience with them.

Also, I'll probably have to buy large quantities of the WIMAs, so I'm sure I'll have extras for sale in the Black Market in time.

Thanks.

Hey Greg,

I used wimas for the 100n's on the pair of SSL's I done, as for the 22u and 100u caps you mentioned - these are polarised electro's, as far as I know wima don't do these...

Peesh

WIMA Capacitors

Foundation: 1948

Field of activities: Manufacture and sale of plastic film capacitors
and metallized paper capacitors

Ownership: 100 % privately owned company

Plants: 4 locations in Germany

Distribution: worldwide

For >0.1uF non-polarized capacitors in the audio path I like to use polystyrene film as well as polypropylene, but I haven't gotten too crazy with brand names yet. Mouser sells Xicon polystyrene caps for cheap.

I didn't see the Xicon polystyrene in the 0.1uF, but I did see some WIMA MKP2 in 0.1uF... this is the part number: 505-MKP20.1/100/5 . Would these be ok in the GSSL? They have the 5mm spacing. I used Panasonic polyesters in my last one, and I'm looking to try something different.

Latest posts

Back