PSU PCB Layout review, please!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Groner

Hi

Could someone have a look @ my first PCB design?

[removed]

It's for a headphone amp, supplies three 5532 and two OPA 551. Mains transformer is 2x30 VAC, 15 VA.

Tracks are 20, 30, 40 or 50 mils wide. Is it OK to jump between these width as I did?

Would it be good practice to add some ground planes between the tracks?

Thanks for your help!

Samuel

The OPA 551s are used to drive headphones and run on +-28 V to give high headroom; the 5534 for the input stages need +-18 V.

I only have three 5534 in this design, so I thought an extra +-18 V transformer winding, rectifier and cap is overkill.

Samuel

I think you can work on it a little with the software to make it almost single sided, it's not a complicated circuit and it would be easier to etch and manage (if you etch it yourself).
Frank

I've tried to answer this before.. twice.. and both time my computer locked up!

I didn't really look at the schematic so I'll assume that it's proper design.

Based on that, I'll say that MOST issues with PCBs are improper design of the circuit like too little capacitance etc, not really the layout unless it's just plain disregarding common sense. A proper circuit design will usually accomodate small issues with PCB layouts.

some points i like to followin PSUs is making sure that AC traces are as wide and short as possible and making sure that all decoupling caps are as close to the regulators as possible. I also try to make all PSU traces as wide as possible to keep resistance down. I'll try to make all my boards one sided to keep costs down, so i'll experiment with various layouts of resistors and caps that allow the traces to run between the through-holes.

as for your design, I don't really see anything that would cause problems, most routing is personal preferrence as long as you avoid obvious problems. as stated before, I bet you could make this single sided if you try a few variations.

:thumb:

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll have a look at it again and see whether I can make it single sided.

If I'd stay double sided, would it be good to fill the empty areas with ground layers?

Samuel

yes. generally you see the bottom layer as the ground(unless you need otherwise..) and trying to make it as large as possible is good.. however I personally don't run ground plane under AC as it can pick up noise from the AC and put it all over your nice DC ground and create havoc with your devices.. try to keep the AC and DC away from each other and any AC traces should be well away from any others, especially avoiding running them parallel with other traces.

good luck!

if i had time i would draw you up a prototype PSU but alas, i don't.. :sad:

Latest posts

Back