Getting started with CNC drilling and routing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav

All but one of people in the CNC department at my family's factory quit their jobs (some local company apparently got a huge order, needed 20 people and paid more than generously). I have been asked to step in and help, since I used to run the CNC machines. The problem is, that is almost 15 years ago...

I remember loading up the programs put out by the CAD-department, I remember checking for and erasing doublets, adding the odd hole if someone was missing, programming tool fetches and such, but thats about it. I can't remember any codes for anything. I can only load a file and execute at this point....

I won't be able to get any time on the machine for the next week or two, and I would like to do some reading to prepare. I am thinking that drilling and routing PCBs is pretty basic stuff, expect for the experience of getting tolerances, tool sizes and spindle speeds right for the more odd jobs. Google is mostly giving me hits on some pretty hairy 3D machine modeling, and the only video I have found so far seems to be older than the concept of CNC programming itself.

Anyone got a book/place to start, so I can feed my brain a little info before I actually hit the factory floor? Units are running Sieb & Meyer control software.

Gustav

Thanks a lot, both!

Spent some time on it today, and it seems like maintenance and setting up specialized routing and tool sizes will be the biggest "problem".

Im not sure how I failed to realize how cool these machines are to play with in the past :)

Gustav

Latest posts

Back