24ch API SUMMING MIXER DR-2402

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it running for some first tests, the heatsinks from my previous post are way too small.  I don't know if there's a big enough heatsink to fit the footprint , maybe this one here: http://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/Aavid-Thermalloy/531302B02500G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMttgyDkZ5WiuntoNcpZWtUr7zxRApYWSuw%3d

The mixer draws about 0,8-1A current per rail, so ~8-10W of power to dissipate for the regulators...

buckethead said:
Ninuz said:
I used epoxy glue.
Same for the framing of the Sifam meters I used as the mounting set/bolt and nuts didnt fit.

So you glued the LEDs and the meters directly to the frontpanel? I was thinking about that too...but I'm not giving up trying to find a "nicer" way to mount those ;)

11940719_680060788791501_5123754125207830957_n.jpg

buckethead said:
Got it running for some first tests, the heatsinks from my previous post are way too small.  I don't know if there's a big enough heatsink to fit the footprint , maybe this one here: http://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/Aavid-Thermalloy/531302B02500G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMttgyDkZ5WiuntoNcpZWtUr7zxRApYWSuw%3d

The mixer draws about 0,8-1A current per rail, so ~8-10W of power to dissipate for the regulators...

here is the high power consumption
Give large heatsink  there is a lot of heat
which leads to power off the controller

10377253_681586438638936_2712111986537995076_n.jpg

12003033_683445315119715_323393520191242138_n.jpg

Probably from Capi before they stopped selling them  ???

So, I got that I should get a big-ass heatsink, but seeing that fatum has the PSU in another enclosure than the PSU-enclosure coming from DIY-racked, I am wondering what heatsink fits the PSU-pcb. The one fatum uses is wider (atleast 2x) than what fits the pcb.

@Fatum:
The LED "bezels"/plastic "containter": have you glued these to the front-panel and/or the frontpanel-"help"-panel (the one directly behind the frontpanel) ?

fragletrollet said:
Probably from Capi before they stopped selling them  ???

So, I got that I should get a big-ass heatsink, but seeing that fatum has the PSU in another enclosure than the PSU-enclosure coming from DIY-racked, I am wondering what heatsink fits the PSU-pcb. The one fatum uses is wider (atleast 2x) than what fits the pcb.

@Fatum:
The LED "bezels"/plastic "containter": have you glued these to the front-panel and/or the frontpanel-"help"-panel (the one directly behind the frontpanel) ?

I did not use glue :)

Almost finished around here. The only things missing are a nice ELMA master volume switch and a bigger heatsink for the regulators. That thing was sooo much work, I'm glad it's almost over  ;D

For knobs I used OKW, they look nice and have a nice feel - and API knobs are impossible to get at the moment. I'll take some more pictures in the future, in case you guys are interested

Attachments

• 2402_1.jpg
    2402_1.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 288
buckethead said:
Almost finished around here. The only things missing are a nice ELMA master volume switch and a bigger heatsink for the regulators. That thing was sooo much work, I'm glad it's almost over  ;D

For knobs I used OKW, they look nice and have a nice feel - and API knobs are impossible to get at the moment. I'll take some more pictures in the future, in case you guys are interested

wow! thats a cabling job to be proud of, well done. And good knob choice, white/black on blue is super clean I love it.

Beautiful Buckethead!

What pots did you end up using? They kinda look like Alpha`s from the back... but that`s probably not the case?

Bet your pretty anxious to fire it up for the first time  8)

Thanks guys! ;)

The pots are from OMEG, they do custom work at a mininum order of 10 pcs. Not the cheapest solution, but they do really nice work and the pots fit that project perfectly! For the ones interested, you need to spend about 400€ (including 20% Austrian taxes) for those (25pcs PAN pots, 25pcs 1k faders, 10 pcs stereo 1k).

It's running fine with 16 channel at the moment, stereo channels are disconnected, because of the weak heatsinks.  But yeah, I have to admit there was some smoke development, when I turned it on the first time, hahaha.

I also had some some smoke when powering up:) Was a couple of op amps with a short.
I also had problems with the PSU shutting down one of the rails after about 20 minutes of use. I then added some cooling paste between the regulators and heatsink and also tightened them together with nuts and bolts and since then I dont get problems.

buckethead said:
Thanks guys! ;)

The pots are from OMEG, they do custom work at a mininum order of 10 pcs. Not the cheapest solution, but they do really nice work and the pots fit that project perfectly! For the ones interested, you need to spend about 400€ (including 20% Austrian taxes) for those (25pcs PAN pots, 25pcs 1k faders, 10 pcs stereo 1k).

It's running fine with 16 channel at the moment, stereo channels are disconnected, because of the weak heatsinks.  But yeah, I have to admit there was some smoke development, when I turned it on the first time, hahaha.

Nice Work Buckethead! where did you get those knobs from? As everyone knows its almost impossible to get the apiish style knobs anymore.

Thanks for the Tip Ninuz. I'm still putting together the opamps (I've been taking it slow). Did you use the heatsink that fits on the PCB silkscreen or did you use a bigger one? I still have to order mine.

The knobs are from OKW (https://www.okw.com/). I'm still thinking about a good solution for the heatsinks. The PCB mounted small ones are just a little bit weak for that much power dissipation...

Yeah those op amps takes time :(
I used the bom listed heatsinks and they are working but if you can find and use some bigger ones it wouldnt hurt I think.

ZekeProductions said:
Nice Work Buckethead! where did you get those knobs from? As everyone knows its almost impossible to get the apiish style knobs anymore.

Thanks for the Tip Ninuz. I'm still putting together the opamps (I've been taking it slow). Did you use the heatsink that fits on the PCB silkscreen or did you use a bigger one? I still have to order mine.

What's the point of having the API logo on the panel?

EDIT: Ah, it's Purusha's case. That's why..  ::)

Oh yeah, you're right. Admittedly I was late on reading up on that whole Purusha topic and somehow new to the community and its "principles" when I started this project, I hope it's ok for the community to post about this project here.

The API logo is just ridiculous, removed it with acetone. Should have done that before taking pictures...

Back