24ch API SUMMING MIXER DR-2402

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

all leds are only red when signal is sent to the mixer...whereas i ordered green/red leds...How to correct this ?

For those with completed builds, do you have any pertinent measurements you would like to share? I'm on a search what I should do for a summing mixer build (or just keep my Mixdream XP) and I'm curious about the 2402's performance (frequency response, transient response, etc.) and if there are any comparisons to other notable analog mixers that would be worth taking into consideration. I know that the selection of DOAs will affect these measurements, but I'm hoping to get an overall idea of what I could expect. To go this route would require some considerable work to integrate it, but if this aids significantly to yielding a better product for clients, then it's worth it to me.

Thanks!

Paul

I finished mine, what you should except is very clean sound, no coloration..it makes its summming job great...
but of course, even just one cap or one tube on a compressor will add much more color, so just expect good analog summing, it is not a magical box who changes a bad mix to a top notch one..but it is a great heart for a good studio. Also, it is not a cheap project at all, be ready to do metal work, and to find your own way for some mounting... I'm happy with mine, but i would not build a new one and if i build a new studio, i would consider the summing at the end...Hard to recognize this, but my 500eu ssl bus comp on parallel is more useful to improve a mix..than every summing (my daw summing is not so far from my analog summing,  i can not make the difference on a blind test)..

Just to know...i have to see like "+2db" on my DAW to clip one channel of the summing mixer..is it normal ?
Should i have the clipping led illuminated at lower level ?
Regards,
Hugo

hugo said:
I finished mine, what you should except is very clean sound, no coloration..it makes its summming job great...
but of course, even just one cap or one tube on a compressor will add much more color, so just expect good analog summing, it is not a magical box who changes a bad mix to a top notch one..but it is a great heart for a good studio. Also, it is not a cheap project at all, be ready to do metal work, and to find your own way for some mounting... I'm happy with mine, but i would not build a new one and if i build a new studio, i would consider the summing at the end...Hard to recognize this, but my 500eu ssl bus comp on parallel is more useful to improve a mix..than every summing (my daw summing is not so far from my analog summing,  i can not make the difference on a blind test)..

Thanks for the info.

I agree that analog summing should not be looked at as a magic box that will magically undo bad mixing techniques, but I have done blind tests with and without and the client has always picked the analog summing version, so I always choose that option. And I guess the other thing is evaluating is it worth selling my Mixdream XP and building either the 24 or 16 channel version of this unit and after all the extra work end up sonically where I started. I'll probably just put this project way down the list for something to do when on a very long tour.

Thanks!

Paul

I am a little bit worrying about noise...i dont know what is normal noise level there. I mean, with all channels muted...Anybody ?

I've had mine up and running since June. I'm actually amazed at how quiet it is. That's with all 24 channels enabled and faders all the way up. I don't have any actual measurements (will try to run some when I get a chance) but with it hooked up to the 24 outs of my Symphony i/o and running through my Sound Skulptor MC624 master section turned all the way up I have a hard time telling the difference between muted and un muted. I've worked with several of the legendary large format consoles in my time and the DR-2402 is by far the quietest mixer I've ever used.

I'm very interested in all the different op amp flavors out there. One of the really cool things with the 2402 is the ability to load it up with different pairs of op amps. You can then take a stereo mix and easily compare pairs of different op amps by just switching your output.  Right now I have it loaded with stock API 2520s on 1-2, Scott Lieber Red dots on 3-4, A pair of op amps recommended by Tat with nos can transistors (very nice) on 5 - 6, and a pair of the Sound Skulptor 2520s on 7 - 8. The rest of the channels are APP992s (also very nice) and the summing board is API 2520s. I've been planning to write an article on my observations of the various flavors but I type kind of slow and have been too busy recording lately to do much else.

My studio partner also has a nice home setup with 24 channels of API 8200 into a 7800 master section and he has raved many times to me about how remarkably similar the 2402 sounds and how nice it is to have such a similar sound at both locations.

To be sure, I would not recommend this project for beginners. You're going to need good electrical and mechanical instincts to complete one of these. It is not "everything you need in one box" like the CAPI or Sound Skulptor kits. That said I am super happy with mine and had a lot of fun building it. It wasn't cheap but I'm not looking to sound cheap and it was still considerably less than similar products (Neve 8816, Burl Vancouver, API8200) while providing a lot more flexibility.

Admittedly I am a tinkerer and love fixing, modding and building my own gear. Many of the mass produced options out there are mostly smd and god help you if you want to work on them without full schematics and good smd skills.

digrecording said:
I've had mine up and running since June. I'm actually amazed at how quiet it is. That's with all 24 channels enabled and faders all the way up. I don't have any actual measurements (will try to run some when I get a chance) but with it hooked up to the 24 outs of my Symphony i/o and running through my Sound Skulptor MC624 master section turned all the way up I have a hard time telling the difference between muted and un muted. I've worked with several of the legendary large format consoles in my time and the DR-2402 is by far the quietest mixer I've ever used.

I'm very interested in all the different op amp flavors out there. One of the really cool things with the 2402 is the ability to load it up with different pairs of op amps. You can then take a stereo mix and easily compare pairs of different op amps by just switching your output.  Right now I have it loaded with stock API 2520s on 1-2, Scott Lieber Red dots on 3-4, A pair of op amps recommended by Tat with nos can transistors (very nice) on 5 - 6, and a pair of the Sound Skulptor 2520s on 7 - 8. The rest of the channels are APP992s (also very nice) and the summing board is API 2520s. I've been planning to write an article on my observations of the various flavors but I type kind of slow and have been too busy recording lately to do much else.

My studio partner also has a nice home setup with 24 channels of API 8200 into a 7800 master section and he has raved many times to me about how remarkably similar the 2402 sounds and how nice it is to have such a similar sound at both locations.

To be sure, I would not recommend this project for beginners. You're going to need good electrical and mechanical instincts to complete one of these. It is not "everything you need in one box" like the CAPI or Sound Skulptor kits. That said I am super happy with mine and had a lot of fun building it. It wasn't cheap but I'm not looking to sound cheap and it was still considerably less than similar products (Neve 8816, Burl Vancouver, API8200) while providing a lot more flexibility.

Admittedly I am a tinkerer and love fixing, modding and building my own gear. Many of the mass produced options out there are mostly smd and god help you if you want to work on them without full schematics and good smd skills.

Hi, thank you for your feedback. You can not compare it to a console, since the "0" is achieved when all pots are fully CW...so it does not add gain to the signal, just the possibility to attenuate it. My unit seems to work good, but i never know since no measurement out there..
In your DAW, what is the level for the signal you send to the mixer ? At which level you have the leds becoming red ? My daw peaks before my summing mixer, is it normal ?
When the signal return to your daw, which level do you have ?
Thank you

digrecording said:

Already wrote it?
Currently finishing mine after a couple of years :)
I am gonna build another PSU for it in the futher. Quieter and better.

I started this project approx. 18 months ago I had bought all the parts (even some spare parts just in case) soldered all the opamps, all the boards, mounted vu meters, but ran into a little trouble with the wiring and sort of gave up as I had purchased the API DSM24 summing mixer for a too good too be true offer.

I still have this project on my desk and it haunts me everyday. I don't know whether to finish it or sell it as is. Anyway Does anyone have any good pictures of how they wired theirs? I am not sure how the wiring goes.

Also has anyone fixed the PSU heating issue? Thanks for your help

ZekeProductions said:
Also has anyone fixed the PSU heating issue? Thanks for your help

This is from Facebook:

“DR-2402 API SUMMING MIXER UPDATE - PSU OVERHEATING ISSUE
Use the 3A regs LM350T & LM333T !
They are available on ebay “

qmp audio said:
This is from Facebook:

Has anyone tried that and found that this was the solution? I'd like to know before spending more money.

Not yet, by 1.5 amps is no power headroom so to speak.
I am going to make a whole other power supply.  Higher amp and quieter.

Btw. Wiring is in the manual.
If you want I can make some pictures. I am continue the build after a year. Almost done.  :)

MrBlomski said:

If you want I can make some pictures. I am continue the build after a year. Almost done.  :)

That would be great, Thanks!

I'm going to read the manual again and see what i did wrong.

qmp audio said:
This is from Facebook:

Does the LM350T replace the 337 & the LM333T replace the 317??

MrBlomski said:

Any luck on getting yours up and running? Were you able to get some wiring pics?

Latest posts

Back