where can i get the cheapest linear power supply for pm1000?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi i'm looking for a really good linear power supply unit for my yamaha pm1000. it's almost done and i need to find one for cheap.
please post the model number or if mouser please post mouser number so i can find it. i'm not very good at finding things through mouser. their web site is not the most user friendly.

try ebay for power supplies, you can get really good deals, sadly, most power supplies dont hold their value, $300 acopians always sell for $40.

dave

try this one,v... from Digi-Key

Power One Model: HB48-0.5-A 
Digikey Part No: 179-2034-ND
48VDC / 0.5 Amp Linear Power supply

you'll need a few diodes to step the voltage down to 44V (i guess you could tap off the 48V to do that, and the 48V would go straight to phantom). alternately, i think the power supply has some degree of adjustment so you could bump it down to 44V on the board and just run your phantom a few volts less than 48V. i don't think that'll bother most mics that need phantom.

i haven't tried this yet, but it was reccommended to me by a guy who's racked a bunch of them.

would this work guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11772&item=3873252662&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

also it may have only 1 output. i think i need 2 because i have 2 mic pres. it's a dual mic pre project. let me know. thanks

[quote author="versuviusx"]would this work guys:[/quote]
Nope, this is a 15 volt supply, You need 44v for the PM1000 modules.

Does anyone know how much current one PM1000 input module will eat? I'm racking up a couple of these too and I'll need to start building some supplies soon too. I'll probably put 4 in a box and I'm wondering if I can use the TL783C regulators i got from maxwall for this.

also i was told that i could go here and get this

The PS from Mouser, 800-346-6873, is;

831-PW130RA4800F1

Page 1354 in Cat#1354

Ault Medical AC Adapters

get the power cord. www.mouser.com/ault

would this work???????

here is what it looks like:

powersupply8qg.jpg

[quote author="Mendelt"][quote author="versuviusx"]would this work guys:[/quote]
Nope, this is a 15 volt supply, You need 44v for the PM1000 modules.

Does anyone know how much current one PM1000 input module will eat? I'm racking up a couple of these too and I'll need to start building some supplies soon too. I'll probably put 4 in a box and I'm wondering if I can use the TL783C regulators i got from maxwall for this.[/quote]

i recall reading somewhere when i was researching the whole PM-1000 thing that the typical current draw for an input module was around 100 mA.

v, you are going to need 44 volts and 48 volts - you can just tap off of the one output connector of the power supply and power both modules no problem. -/+ 15 volts has no business being anywhere near those modules so get that idea out of your head.

you can get 44v and 48 v from the same output - it's pretty simple to do, but you need to run something like 4 or 5 diodes in series to step the voltage down to 44 volts (you could just use a little perfboard to mount the diodes on, i think on the krashjones site, he just wired them straight together and put some heatshrink over them). just connect the phantom power for both modules straight to the power supply output directly, then connect the diodes to the power supply directly. all to the same point - then the 44 volts for both modules would go to the other side of the diodes.

anyone who's done this remember what diodes were used?

[quote author="versuviusx"]so i was thinking that i could find one that had 48 vdc and then another one with +- 15vdc for the channel strips.[/quote]

The PM1000 needs +44v for the channel strips not +- 15v and +48v for phantom.

But you can just use 44v for both, virtually all mics will work fine with lower phantom. Some "pro" gear goes as low as 18v.

[quote author="versuviusx"]can i use 48V for both?[/quote]

Maybe, but I wouldn't try it just like that.
I think that if you just want to use one supply you've got two choices.

- You can use a 44V and live with 4v less phantom on your mics.

- You can use a 48V and use some diodes in series with the power supply to get the voltage to about 44V for the preamps. I think most diodes have a voltage drop of .6v so you have to use six or seven of them.

Hi all,

i'm new here and newbie in audio DIY.
I'm waiting 2 pm1000 strips from ebay for racking.
Do you think i could use this psu to supply these ?
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4919490&N=401

Thanks,
Guillaume

I built my first pair with a lower cost switching power supply. the danger here is that some (most?) switching supplies have noise in the audio frequency range. It also had 100mv p/p ripple spec'ed. It worked though and I haven't noticed anything too bad. With a good recapping, and upgrading a few of them to larger, it seems to be OK.

I'm about to rack 4 more strips (2 x 2U) and bought two of "International Power" brand from Mouser. A lot better specs and linear (as it should be). I've looked at some other cheap switching supplies and seen as much as 1V pp ripple. Yuck. I'm guessing the external kind (like you might see on a laptop) won't look too good on a scope either.

Mike

[quote author="bubble"]I'm waiting 2 pm1000 strips from ebay for racking.
Do you think i could use this psu to supply these ?
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4919490&N=401
[/quote]

that one is a switching, not a linear supply. for better results look for a linear model. Linear supplies are usually larger, heavier due to the big ugly transformers on them.

Latest posts

Back