• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

G7 mic with lots of special tweaks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloff70

GDIY Supporter
Hi guys,

I have decided it is time the G7 gets a new home, where it gets some use. The quick rundown is as follows:

- No capsule at present (had Neumann K67, selling that separately)
- Body and psu built from Nady 1050. Lengthened with machined copper tube body
- point to point on breadboard, no circuitboard
- Sowter 3678 transformer
- added knob on the psu for tube voltage, making it possible to run either EF86 at 6.3V or PF86 at 4.5V and tune the voltage for underheating. The tube in there is a Siemens PF86 and it sounds stellar. Also there are still lots of great PF86's for dirt cheap on german ebay.......the two blue holes are to measure the voltage with DMM when tweaking the knob.
- NOS RFT Paper in Oil output cap, rather larger than the standard G7 size (4uF), made it bigger round the bottom and smoooooth.
- psu tweaked as to Jim at JJ Audio's spec, using very low noise components, resulting in a superbly quiet mic.
- Gotham cable with Neutrik connectors
- Cathedral guitar U47 spider mount hardly used. Very solid and untoylike.

A collection of very nice parts involved. As you can see there are more tidy builds around, but all worked great before taking the capsule out. All you would have to do is get a microphoneparts.com K47 for dirt cheap.....or go upmarket and put a Tim Campbell in there, and off you go.

£300 plus shipping. I consider that parts cost, and that's counting generously.

For more pics, please ask.

Attachments

• G7_wall_single.jpg
    G7_wall_single.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 240
Nothing says geek in a good way like a star trek reference,
Where's the pm button , anyway email me please
gboboski at gmail dot com

Hi there....I emailed you on that address a good few days ago. Might it have gone in the junk folder? You can get me on bc_sass at hotmail dot com......

Back