PHILIPS EL3710 preamp info's needed.
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
I have many of these old PHILIPS EL3710 professional preamp modules but was unable to find any informations about them on the web. These are very well built units with massive transformers, nothing in common with the cheap crappy consumer products PHILIPS are know for. Looks like PHILIPS made professional quality gear too. These are very likely microphone preamps as you can tell by the Mic. symbol on the frontplate and 30/45dB indications on the back side. The 3 remaining switches are not labelled and I have no idea about their purpose. The tube complement is (1) E80F and (1) E80L and connections are via a 12 pin Tuchel connector. Unfortunately, unlike the V72's these preamps are not self powered and need an external power supply. Although building a power supply is not a problem, I'm wondering if it really worth the effort as nobody has ever heard this preamp and nothing can be found regarding their sonic qualities (or lack of). Also, I have no schematics and no idea about the required B+ supply. (should be around 300VDC, the 1st filter cap is rated at 500VDC).
Does anybody here has any experience with these modules, or better a copy of the schematic or manual ? Any informations about these old preamps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Pief

Re: PHILIPS EL3710 preamp info's needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »
specs.

Pief

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
blokdiagram EL3710

EmRR

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
Feedback like a Collins 356A/Langevin 5116.

I'm wondering if it really worth the effort as nobody has ever heard this preamp and nothing can be found regarding their sonic qualities (or lack of).

Oh boy, so much stuff would go in the dumpster under that premise.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
Philips did a lot of pro radio and tv equipment , they look like very nice preamps and would be  well worth making a dedicated psu for in my opinion.  Sometimes OD&D (outlaw recording and pa) have parts from old Philips consoles including psu's .