[BUILD] Hairball Audio - Elements

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anything obvious. 

If you can get DMM leads into your module do this with or without the op-amp in place.

1.  With your DMM set to DC V clip your common DMM lead to the GND socket and the test lead to the +16V.  Power on and confirm you have roughly  +16V DC.
2.  With your DMM set to DC V clip your common DMM lead to the GND socket and the test lead to the -16V.  Power on and confirm you have roughly  -16V DC.
3.  With your DMM set to AC V clip your common DMM lead to the GND socket and the test lead to the output and INSER THE OP-AMP.  Power on and set the output and gain to max.  What is your AC reading?  Should be several volts.

#3 will test if the signal is dying before or after the op-amp.

Mike

Do you hear the relay when a 1/4" is inserted to the DI?

On mine, I had swapped the output transistors (600 & 601) that caused both +-15v rails to trip the fuses.  No sound, no DI and no relay click when the DI was activated. 

I triple checked those transistors too  :-X

So, after getting the switched gain, my build still isn't acting right.

It was very distorted and clipping my convertor inputs on almost all gain settings. At full gain and open on the fader, I get nothing but loud white noise. I've gone over components and solder joints and touched up everything that looked fishy. Nothing changed until I looked at the schematic. It seems the schematic shows Q600 - 2690AYS and Q 601 -1220AYS. In the pictures on the build page it's opposite of this, with the 1220AYS as Q600  :eek:

So I swapped them and I think I fried the transistors.. again. Can someone confirm which transistors are suppose to be in Q600 and Q601?

Indecline said:

It was very distorted and clipping my convertor inputs on almost all gain settings. At full gain and open on the fader, I get nothing but loud white noise. I've gone over components and solder joints and touched up everything that looked fishy. Nothing changed until I looked at the schematic. It seems the schematic shows Q600 - 2690AYS and Q 601 -1220AYS. In the pictures on the build page it's opposite of this, with the 1220AYS as Q600  :eek:

So I swapped them and I think I fried the transistors.. again. Can someone confirm which transistors are suppose to be in Q600 and Q601?

Looks like the schematic is wrong.

600 is 1220 and 601 is 2690.  Just confirmed on our working pres.

If you need new ones, shoot me an email, we'll get them out.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
Indecline said:

Looks like the schematic is wrong.

600 is 1220 and 601 is 2690.  Just confirmed on our working pres.

If you need new ones, shoot me an email, we'll get them out.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have a couple spares at home I can swap them with. It still leaves me with the clipping distortion and the noise burst at max gain, fader up.

One strange thing about the noise, it shows on my Lola meters and LAZ525 with full gain. Any idea on that? I have a feeling it's my "smoking gun" clue to get the Silver working right.

Theoretical musing.  The Gold. 

When driving long lines, is the output driver equivalent/stronger/weaker than a 990 by itself?  How does this compare to a Hardy M-1 type implantation with no output control?  How does transient response compare between the two methods when hung on 500 feet of star-quad snake?

I wonder since I'd be inclined to lose the output control section entirely if building one of those. 
Don't worry too much about this question Mike, it's a bit off topic for most people! 

furn1979 said:
Hairball Audio said:
Do you want to send one in?  I may need to just test it.

DI is definitely ok on our Gold here.

I fear I might have to... I'll send you an email.

Got the pre and parts back today and everything works and sounds ROCK SOLID!

BTW, the greyhill option is definitely worth the extra bucks.

Thanks Mike!

I have to troubleshoot my BRONZE module.

How does one do that, outside of the Lunchbox?

And, what am I looking for?

I have the LED glowing, when the Phantom is engaged.

Otherwise, I have nothing.

I'd like to get clips, or some sort of attachment to extend from the lunchbox power supply, so I can read voltages.

Can I test Continuity?

ALSO, can the Output XFormer DOUBLE Pri-Hi/Pri Lo/Sec/Hi/Sec Lo, be solder bridged together, since they're heading the same place?

Thats the one thing that I see or trace back, that looks out of the ordinary.

ANNNNND, the 0.1u Caps, say 100n. Am I crazy, or is this maybe the wrong caps? Ughh.....

I'm obviously a newbie.

On a airplane right now so can't see much until I get back tomorrow.  100nF = 0.1uF.

Make sure your output transistors are not switched.  More help when I get back tomorrow.

Mike

Exchanged the Output Transistors, and am passing signal. BUT, I made a messsssss out of my board. Whoa, baby.... Real bad.

Is there anything that would possibly be hindering some low end, in a Bronze?
Or, is it just a module without much low end?

Yes, I know vacation is still upon us. I shall be patient.
At least Im passing signal!!

Thanks, Mike!

Or, anyone else, with any input....

FattyMA4 said:
Exchanged the Output Transistors, and am passing signal. BUT, I made a messsssss out of my board. Whoa, baby.... Real bad.

Is there anything that would possibly be hindering some low end, in a Bronze?
Or, is it just a module without much low end?

Yes, I know vacation is still upon us. I shall be patient.
At least Im passing signal!!

Thanks, Mike!

Or, anyone else, with any input....

Bronze should have TONS of low/low-mid.  That's it's "thing".  Are you in the USA?  Maybe just send it in here?

Or I can post some tips tomorrow as I get caught up here (I'm back).

Mike

I'm going to bring it to "my guy" tomorrow.  See if he can help.
Then, yes, I'm in the USA. I will gladly pay for you to check out my disaster..... Haha!

I'll get back atcha after tomorrow's testings.

Thank you, Mike, for being the BEST customer service EVER, in the history of DIY Builds!

Hey Mike,

Turns out, those Transistors were backwards, OF COURSE. However, my buddy was able to jump them to the next proper point.

Just a question, now.

When I try to saturate the heck out of it, it REALLY is displeasing to the ear. Like clipping, instead of a sweet OverDrive-ish.....

Did I do something else wrong now?

I might just send it to you.

Do you have any other suggestions, firstly?

Oops....

You're not back, for another day or two.

I can be patient.

Take your time, bud.

Thank you very much, Mike.

-Matt

FattyMA4 said:
Hey Mike,

Turns out, those Transistors were backwards, OF COURSE. However, my buddy was able to jump them to the next proper point.

Just a question, now.

When I try to saturate the heck out of it, it REALLY is displeasing to the ear. Like clipping, instead of a sweet OverDrive-ish.....

Did I do something else wrong now?

I might just send it to you.

Do you have any other suggestions, firstly?

We're back.

Hard to say.  Sure you're not pushing your converters?  Maybe you're hitting it too hard?  Might be something damaged or still a transistor issue.  Hard to say with out seeing/hearing.

Mike

I think I might be good....
I maybe had wilder expectations.
I've A/B'ed wjth every other Pre that I have, and it's not as crazy as some, but definitely better than others.

At least it's passing signal, there's lower end back again, and the OD sound usable.
I think i feel alright about it.

I've truly only done Bass DI A/B'ing, so far. But, ill drive some 4038, or some TLM 103 or 414 on some drum room sound, and see what transpires.....

Again, Mike, thank you very much, for looking out for me. I appreciate it, much.....

I can't wait to not be so afraid of a Rev A 1176 build.... You have no idea!

Talk soon.

Thanks, man!

Hey there,
Recently did a copper pre without any issues so it seemed; tested it today and wasn't getting any sound out of it until it was cracked and it was just distortion at that point. I did order the variable pots and Im aware most of the gain is at the end of the turn, but Im not actually passing a signal from the mic, just getting distortion and thats when its turned all the way up. Doesn't appear I have any of the polarized components backwards, and I haven't shorted anything extra (just R500). I haven't check my lunchbox yet, as I was in a hurry, but I haven't had any issues with it thus far (still worth checking). Was wondering what I should check or if pictures would help?

Thanks

Houstnwehavuhoh said:
Hey there,
Recently did a copper pre without any issues so it seemed; tested it today and wasn't getting any sound out of it until it was cracked and it was just distortion at that point. I did order the variable pots and Im aware most of the gain is at the end of the turn, but Im not actually passing a signal from the mic, just getting distortion and thats when its turned all the way up. Doesn't appear I have any of the polarized components backwards, and I haven't shorted anything extra (just R500). I haven't check my lunchbox yet, as I was in a hurry, but I haven't had any issues with it thus far (still worth checking). Was wondering what I should check or if pictures would help?

Thanks

I'd have to see images.  Make sure the output transistors are right.
Does the Di work?

Mike

Unfortunately I did not try the DI, will have to do tmw

Phantom power LED lit up however, if that helps at all.

There are more pictures if you click this one. Sorry for the insane zoom

Latest posts

Back