[BUILD] Hairball Audio - Elements

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sinkia said:
Hi there!

Khadr almost done building the copper!

Il guess I have an issue with r608.
On the BOM, it should be 1k, and the last resistor I have is a 100k.

Should I go buy a 1k resistor ta my local store or the 100k fit on here?

Thanks in advanced for your answer!
Adrien

No don't use the 100K. We can send you one but if you are in EU it might be quicker locally.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

It wat I thought too !

No problem, we gonna go to our local supplier!
So it's a 1k, what is the voltage? .25V

Thanks in advance !
Adrien

Hi HB!

I have a Elements Coper that was built from a kit in for repair that is functioning ok but has a bit of self noise at higher gains (no input with the gain and output trim pegged its around -45). I have another full functioning unit here that is dead silent with the controls full up.

Voltages look ok and I have reflowed multiple joints. I was wondering if you had any advice as to where to go looking?

Many thanks,

Lach

Ok, so I still having haven't found the cause of the noise. ..

1)I've swapped opamps (with known working one) and noise is still present on higher gain settings.

2)When I pull the opamp noise goes (makes sense).

3) Double checked gain resistors on input attenuator PCB.

4) Switching pad or phase switches produces large spike is output - DC leaking somewhere?

5) I tested 470uF Radial and 10uf Coupling Tants (and tried replacing) - noise is still present.

Not sure where else to look. 

Also do you have a link to a schematic - the one of the first page is not working.

Many thanks!

Lach

Hey Mike !

We have finish to build the element copper..

Guess what.. Not working !
I suppose we have made some mistake at some point, but here is the result after the first plug :

No MIC IPUT SIGNAL
DI signal : we have input and output,  but there (a lot of) distortion.

I figured out that my friend has burn the C505-470uF/16v (the plastic around the capacitor is burn at the top end of it..)

We have double checked all the component, everything seems to be in good order..

Do you have any idea where it can come from?  :-[

Thanks in advance

Adrien

Ok so after I have double checked everything here is what I have find…

There is some drop off on some resistors :

R301 (200k) - 126K
R304 (240R) - 9,2R
R404 (620 R) - 10R
R405 (620R) - 10R
R606 (43R)  - 2R
R607 (1K) - 200R

I'll post some pictures of my build.. If there is anything that jump off the pictures !

Thanks in advance !
Adrien

Lachlan C. said:

1)I've swapped opamps (with known working one) and noise is still present on higher gain settings.

4) Switching pad or phase switches produces large spike is output - DC leaking somewhere?

5) I tested 470uF Radial and 10uf Coupling Tants (and tried replacing) - noise is still present.

Also do you have a link to a schematic - the one of the first page is not working.

Many thanks!

Lach

Not too sure without working on it.

Schematic:
http://library.hairballaudio.com/images/2015/06/hba-elements-pcb-v1-3_schematic-production.pdf

Mike

Sinkia said:
Ok so after I have double checked everything here is what I have find…

There is some drop off on some resistors :

R301 (200k) - 126K
R304 (240R) - 9,2R
R404 (620 R) - 10R
R405 (620R) - 10R
R606 (43R)  - 2R
R607 (1K) - 200R

I'll post some pictures of my build.. If there is anything that jump off the pictures !

Thanks in advance !
Adrien

You can't really measure resistors on the PCB without considering how they interact with other components in parallel. To them you'd have to lift one leg off the PCB.

Mike

Sinkia said:
Hey Mike !

We have finish to build the element copper..

Guess what.. Not working !
I suppose we have made some mistake at some point, but here is the result after the first plug :

No MIC IPUT SIGNAL
DI signal : we have input and output,  but there (a lot of) distortion.

I figured out that my friend has burn the C505-470uF/16v (the plastic around the capacitor is burn at the top end of it..)

We have double checked all the component, everything seems to be in good order..

Do you have any idea where it can come from?  :-[

Thanks in advance

Adrien

The relay is set to DI by default. If the DI is working and the mic input is not, there is an issue with your DI flipping section.  The distortion is caused by the Q600/601 transistors being in backwards.

Mike

Lachlan C. said:

Many thanks!

Lach

I'd be suspicious of the output section. Check your Q600/601 placement, orientation and the components around it as well as the load components.

I also got one extra 100k resistor and a 1k resistor missing.
Unfortunately they did not have any at my local store is it possible to get the missing 1k resistor shipped to me?

thanks

Thomas

the first of my two copper elements is done...this thing sounds amazing. I did a side by side with my Neve 1073 and it sounds just like it. Very happy
once I get the missing 1k resistor I can build the second one (Please Mike, send this to me)

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 15
mrtomcat said:
I also got one extra 100k resistor and a 1k resistor missing.
Unfortunately they did not have any at my local store is it possible to get the missing 1k resistor shipped to me?

thanks

Thomas

Definitely.  Send us an email from the site.

Latest posts

Back