shaggy's mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

Hi guys. I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the mics I've been building...

They are working mics, for the most part. I built the bodies from scratch. Since most of my electronic parts and test gear is in temporary storage, I borrowed the PCBs and capsules from some respectable 'cheap-but-good' Chinese-built mics. (Edited to add: I plan to be in a new, better workshop by next year, building electronics again as well as mic bodies.)

Hope you like them 8>]

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• P1230024x.jpg
    P1230024x.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 301
Another pic of my latest mic...

Stereo-coincident dual LDC with remote continuously-variable pattern switching, P-48 powered.

Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• P1230008.jpg
    P1230008.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 140
How did you shape the metal mesh to that percision? I see you have some kind of wooden template but could you describe it to more detail?
Thanks!

Damn, those are beautiful mikes indeed!

You're a day-time professional in metal work?

Would be interesting with more details about processes and methods.

Jakob E.

Hi guys. Thanks for your compliments.

Doug, Jakob, I was always a 'mechanical' type, and am very fortunate to have a top notch DIY dad, who started me off at a very young age (and yes, I also do this sort of work for a living.)

bancho, the wood blocks are patterns, for reference in checking parts for uniformity of size, angle, fit, etc. For forming or bending ythe stainless steel mesh and brass sheet I use hardwood and metal formers, and simple bending fixtures. The idea is that each operation is repeatable and produces parts that are the same size.

Jakob, If you like, I'd be happy to post pics of various processes, operations and ideas I use.

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Honestly man, with this kind of build quality and finish, you outperform many of the commercially available mics on the market..

Maybe you could consider making a body, for instance made around one of Poctop's PCBs, that could be produced in small quantities and made available in the white market?
High quality bodies are hard to find. Thanks to Chunger, Riggler, ioaudio and the guys we are now starting to get a few options, but I am sure we could use some more!  8)

My deepest respect for your metalwork, very well done Shaggy!

Best,
Michael

Thanks for the kind words, Michael. Actually they're still prototypes, so you could expect some improvement in materials and finish with any production effort.

I'm definitely open to the idea of building unique one or two-offs to someone's specs, or designing and producing small quantities around available PCBs. Nothing's impossible. PM me 8>]

Dave (shaggy)

Don't tempt me.  :D Although i would love a pair of those bodies.
It would be great to see your process for building these bodies.
Metal work is something i struggle to make look professional but I love seeing talent others have in it.

shaggy said:
Thanks. I guess you mean the 'square' AKG style? I can post some more soon, if you'd like.

Dave (shaggy)

Yea some more pictures of the the AKG style ones would be great. You don't see many non-tube style DIY microphone bodies around.

OK, here's a few more pics:

Finished body, grilles off showing grille support frame...

Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• P11305142.jpg
    P11305142.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 123
Parts are clamped, silver soldered, then shaped and smoothed on a belt sander...

Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• P11304112-4.jpg
    P11304112-4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 109
Internal frame and PCB mount assembled and silver soldered...

(The grille sections are cut from flat stainless steel wire cloth, then clamped between metal templates and bent to shape in a jig. Another angled template acts as a cutting guide for trimming grille halves to finished size.)

Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• P1130627001 crop.jpg
    P1130627001 crop.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Back