shaggy's mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much for the compliments, guys. Please feel free to post any questions or ideas you might have regarding possible applications or improvements. It would be very helpful feedback.

thanks again
Dave (shaggy)

shaggy said:
Thanks very much for the compliments, guys. Please feel free to post any questions or ideas you might have regarding possible applications or improvements. It would be very helpful feedback.

No offense, but can anyone explain to me please, what is the sense of imitating a thousand dollar microphone circuit and at the same time using a cheap china capsule? Isn't the capsule the important part here or is it only temporary?
But nice creative work anyway and thanks for your ideas! ;)

weiss

weiss said:
No offense, but can anyone explain to me please, what is the sense of imitating a thousand dollar microphone circuit and at the same time using a cheap china capsule? Isn't the capsule the important part here or is it only temporary?
But nice creative work anyway and thanks for your ideas! ;)

weiss
Capsule is that kind of part, which you can always change for something better.
Paraphrasing your question - what is the sense of imitating a thousand dollar microphone circuit (even with exclusive parts) and at the same time using a cheap yucky china bodies (like many people do that)? Good mike body - good start :)
Of course in my opinion :)

ln76d said:
Paraphrasing your question - what is the sense of imitating a thousand dollar microphone circuit (even with exclusive parts) and at the same time using a cheap yucky china bodies (like many people do that)? Good mike body - good start :)

sure, i got your point ;) nice projects

Very nice work mate... Your head basket got me thinking... those metal pop filters which work by using angled mesh that redirects the air flow off to one side. Has anyone thought about building head baskets using this mesh material to circumvent the need of a pop stopper.

ln76d said:
In fact! Amazing :) Do you have any plans to anodize the bodies?

Hi - Yes, definitely, but you need a fairly large number of parts before anodising or plating becomes cost-effective. My preference is for black or satin silver-anodized for aluminum, and black or nickel-plated for brass parts. These mics aren't at that stage yet.
BTW, the stereo coincident mic uses a lot of stainless steel because that's what I had laying around at the time. I'd probably have preferred brass, but it's more expensive, and not always easy to find in the right dimensions.

thanks!
Dave (shaggy)

weiss said:
ln76d said:

sure, i got your point ;) nice projects

Thanks Weiss. As In76d says, one can easily upgrade the capsule at any time. Also, for initial testing, a cheaper capsule saves risking the more expensive one (so yes, in this case it is 'only temporary').

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Dave they're absolutely gorgeous!

I didn't think diying AKG was even possible, so it's a real eye opener for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Moshe

Thanks again for all the compliments, guys.

Now if someone would only go to work on a C-414EB PC board, sourcing of o/p transformers, etc... 8>]

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Back