shaggy's mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice metalwork, I'm impressed! It's good to see something different than the ever popular tube mic clone project.

There's nothing too special about the AKG C414 EB circuit(s). The silver 414 EB has a fairly simple darlington style circuit - whatever magic it possesses is due to its brass CK-12 capsule. The later black C414 EB P48 has a slightly more sophisticated circuit but omits the DC converter which also means that the circuit must do with very little current to keep the polarization voltage above 40 volts. The optimal C414 EB would be a combination of the two, i.e. the EB P48 circuit combined with the original EB's DC converter for 60 volts capsule polarization.

shaggy said:
Thanks again for all the compliments, guys.

Now if someone would only go to work on a C-414EB PC board, sourcing of o/p transformers, etc... 8>]

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

What about C12a with 7586 nuvistor ? Such a great work deserve the best treatment ...

Ouau...

Dylan W said:
These are awesome. Did you cut the brass with ruler and scribe?

You mean mark-out with a scribe? Yes, or pencil lines over masking tape. To cut out the parts I use a metal-cutting bandsaw, or a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade.

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Aha. I've also seen sheet metal cut by scribing a few times with a blade and then bending back and forth at the score.

I think your way is more efficient... both in terms of time and waste.

shaggy said:
Dylan W said:

You mean mark-out with a scribe? Yes, or pencil lines over masking tape. To cut out the parts I use a metal-cutting bandsaw, or a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade.

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Dylan W said:
Aha. I've also seen sheet metal cut by scribing a few times with a blade and then bending back and forth at the score.

I think your way is more efficient... both in terms of time and waste.

shaggy said:
Dylan W said:

You mean mark-out with a scribe? Yes, or pencil lines over masking tape. To cut out the parts I use a bandsaw or jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade.

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

That technique only works with shim brass, i.e. sheet just a few thousandths of an inch thick. It's not ideal though, because it leaves a 'torn' edge. Metal shears or sturdy scissors work best on shim stock (but don't borrow your wife's scissors!) 8>]

For the 'square' bodies I use .050" or .062" thick brass,  usually roughed out on the bandsaw and then milled to size. 

Dave (shaggy)

Rossi said:
very nice metalwork, I'm impressed! It's good to see something different than the ever popular tube mic clone project.

There's nothing too special about the AKG C414 EB circuit(s). The silver 414 EB has a fairly simple darlington style circuit - whatever magic it possesses is due to its brass CK-12 capsule. The later black C414 EB P48 has a slightly more sophisticated circuit but omits the DC converter which also means that the circuit must do with very little current to keep the polarization voltage above 40 volts. The optimal C414 EB would be a combination of the two, i.e. the EB P48 circuit combined with the original EB's DC converter for 60 volts capsule polarization.

Thanks, Rossi. I very much appreciate your comments.

"The optimal C414 EB would be a combination of ... the EB P48 circuit combined with the original EB's DC converter for 60 volts capsule polarization. ..."

Now, that sounds like a plan 8>]

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Latest posts

Back