DU67 Beesneez v Neumann Capsule comparison

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the K6 right?

I haven't exactly got golden ears, but I thought that they were pretty damn similar.

Occasionally I thought there was more sparkle/air on the neumann, but they I'd listen to it again and it would be present in the beesneez one too, so my 2p worth is that the K6 sounds pretty spot on to me...

Kaz

(I don't have any clue what a U67 is supposed to sound like though, so can't talk in absolutes...)

Could you post a little more about your methodology? Distance, details of the two mics used (are they exactly the same?), pics, etc.

Mics are as near identical as I could get them.  Resistors and caps were matched closely. 
Both are in SYT-5 bodies.  IOAudio BV12s, matched Telefunken EF86 tubes.

Mics straight into PT via two channels of a Focusrite ISA428 - DIGI002.

Both Mics were mounted sideways on a stereo bar with the top of each headbasket near touching. (Pic later)

Mic distance of 6" for vocals, 6-12" for percussion, 12" for ac guitar, slightly above the sound hole looking down at a slight angle towards the bridge (not terribly careful positioning)

Interesting - very similar, the Neumann strikes me as a bit thicker than the Beezneez.
Definitely does not make the Beezneez sound dark.
Thanks for the comparison.

Yes, indeed.  They are extremely close.  My impressions are similar to taliska and dmp.  The Neumann is perhaps a little bigger on the bottom (thicker as dmp puts it) than the beesneez on the vocal track perhaps, and maybe (maybe) with a shade more definition on top.

These impressions are extremely subtle though and are subjective.  The capsules are very, very close and I can only take my hat off to Ben for producing a capsule that is so close to a K67/870.

Adding 3.5db of 15k is interesting, particularly on the vocal track.  I can't decide whether it renders the mic too bright or not, but then, these are isolated tracks and context is all.

All good fun.  Thanks for chiming in.

Thz for taking the time for this, Jim50hertz!
Actually, I think we need a "Capsule comparison thread" here!  8)

There are a lot of interesting capsules that we would be equally interesting to compare in identical mics.
Different C12-capsules for instance, K47s, M7..

And there are other K67 versions too, including the affordable Chinese ones.
Honest comparisons like this would display the different characteristics in all capsules, from cheap to original, and we could all comfortably decide what we want to pay for, also knowing what we are (not) getting..

So I think this was very interesting!Let's continue!

Best,
Michael

Well, I am unsure if I will be scolded for resurrecting this thread, but I felt like commenting.

Thanks for doing these clips.  The BN capsule is quite nice, so is the Neumann.  The Neumann sounds like a Neumann to me.  The BN sounds like a more open capsule.  The Neumann has that midrange thing happening that I can't ever seem to put into words.  It's a little darker overall, but more intense in that upper mid range.  Detailed there.  It reminds me of my Miktek C7, honestly, but only in that regard.  Otherwise completely different. 

The thing is, I feel like I would be happy with the BN capsule in a u67 style build.  Finding a real k67 and paying that price is just too much.  So might as well use something like the BN to save a bunch of bucks and still have a great mic in the u67 vein.  You probably aren't going to be able to build something that sounds totally like a u67 anyway, no matter the parts.

EDIT: I listened again today and gain matched some of the clips a little better I think, and they sounded even closer.  What I said above stands, but the gap is closer in my mind.  I think when I build a pair of u67 clones I will do BN caps, or one BN and one Heiserman.  Lord knows two u67s never sounded the same anyway.  I like variety.

Thanks for posting the clips.

Back