Ethical question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
What would your time be worth to do this? Multiply this by 5 or 10 and tell whoever wants you to develop this plug in that that is the price and they will have full rights to exploit it.

What about crowd funding?

Cheers

Ian

kambo said:
edit: btw i have recorded in some very respectable studios in east coast, they all had number of  crack plugins;
only reson they were using crack version, was due  crack ones somewhat were more stable

Not for one nanosecond do I believe that a cracked version is more stable than a licensed release.

They are just lying to themselves and trying to make it seem like they have a "legit excuse" for basically stealing.

and they didnt have enough ports for security dongles... they had license for every single plugin they were using tho.

What, a USB hub is too difficult? How fucking lazy.

kambo said:
better watch where you are heading to... some products have strict restrictions... if they catch you messing with their product, they will go after you ( they have allllll the lawyers and $$$ etc)

You know, I honestly don't have a problem with a vendor pursuing valid copyright and licensing claims. If intellectual property is not defended, then all of the copyrights and licenses and patents and trade secrets means exactly dick.

Of course, the other option is to do what my friend did and close up shop. He's asked fairly often if he'd get into doing a plug-in version of his hardware devices, and his answer is redacted by this forum's software.

-a

dont kill the messenger...
i am telling you what i saw. they had dongles all over the place...

edit : thanks for the fast shipping for the tuner btw  :)

kambo said:
ps: just bought your drum tuner  8)
Thanks... I just shipped one to CA, that's probably yours.

=========
1+
but,
better watch where you are heading to... some products have strict restrictions... if they catch you messing with their product, they will go after you ( they have allllll the lawyers and $$$ etc) 

I wish that was true... My patent cost me thousands of dollars out of pocket, and then only give me the right to sue. Patent lawsuits cost big money and results are not guaranteed as I have already shared. 

There is a company that patented using FFT to sniff the pitch of tapping a drum and they have already used that to shut down one smartphone competitor. That appeared to be a case of a small company bullying an even smaller company (it's all relative).

if you were selling your drum tuner like bread and butter everyday, it would be copied loooong time ago...
may be better of keep lo profile, sometimes...
I do not keep a low profile on purpose, perhaps my time here would be better spent on marketing.  8)

I do have a patent for this technology so would go after obvious infringers. The sweet spot price point for this (drum tuning) market is down around $20 and I'll never ever get there. The cheap note sniffer is on the path to reach there but it only sniffs, mine does more (of course). 

JR 

ruffrecords said:
JohnRoberts said:
I've been asked to make a software plug-in for my popular Loft delay-line flanger... (yawn)

JR

What would your time be worth to do this? Multiply this by 5 or 10 and tell whoever wants you to develop this plug in that that is the price and they will have full rights to exploit it.

Cheers

Ian
Nobody has offered to pay me to do this, just suggested that I should.

I would have to learn a whole new programming environment along with new secret handshakes.

I have more projects than time left, and already have enough beer to drink myself to death.  ;D

My most pressing side project is making an outlet tester that actually works (the commercial testers do not detect dangerous "reverse polarity bootleg ground" (RPBG) mis-wired outlets). UL makes them add small print to the owner's manual saying they can not detect multiple faults, exactly what RPBG is.

RPBG can and does kill people. While at peavey we got sued by a guitar player killed by a UL approved Peavey amp that was plugged into a RPBG mis-wired outlet. The amp was correct, but the hot safety ground in the outlet energized the guitar amp chassis and strings killing the player when he touched another properly grounded guitar plugged into a different (correct) outlet..  How many musicians do you know who have been shocked?
http://circularscience.com/home/terms-and-conditions/od-1

Since I haven't gotten a business partner to finish this (instead of me) yet, it looks like I may have to do the UL approval myself. (ouch$$$ just buying a copy of the UL standard cost me $400). I don't want to start yet another business, but I can't ignore the potential to maybe save some lives, and I've already got a working design, so the rest is just expensive detail work..

Back to work.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
ruffrecords said:
JohnRoberts said:
I've been asked to make a software plug-in for my popular Loft delay-line flanger... (yawn)

JR

Cheers

Ian
Nobody has offered to pay me to do this, just suggested that I should.

I would have to learn a whole new programming environment along with new secret handshakes.

I have more projects than time left, and already have enough beer to drink myself to death.  ;D

My most pressing side project is making an outlet tester that actually works (the commercial testers do not detect dangerous "reverse polarity bootleg ground" (RPBG) mis-wired outlets). UL makes them add small print to the owner's manual saying they can not detect multiple faults, exactly what RPBG is.

RPBG can and does kill people. While at peavey we got sued by a guitar player killed by a UL approved Peavey amp that was plugged into a RPBG mis-wired outlet. The amp was correct, but the hot safety ground in the outlet energized the guitar amp chassis and strings killing the player when he touched another properly grounded guitar plugged into a different (correct) outlet..  How many musicians do you know who have been shocked?
http://circularscience.com/home/terms-and-conditions/od-1

Since I haven't gotten a business partner to finish this (instead of me) yet, it looks like I may have to do the UL approval myself. (ouch$$$ just buying a copy of the UL standard cost me $400). I don't want to start yet another business, but I can't ignore the potential to maybe save some lives, and I've already got a working design, so the rest is just expensive detail work..

Back to work.

JR

That's really interesting JR,
didn't know about RPBG thanks for pointing that out. That's really dangerous I'm amazed that people test electrical plugs with devices that dont even notice that it can be wired in RPBG and that you can be killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfAPkJVYUpY

Whoops said:
That's really interesting JR,
didn't know about RPBG thanks for pointing that out. That's really dangerous I'm amazed that people test electrical plugs with devices that dont even notice that it can be wired in RPBG and that you can be killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfAPkJVYUpY
Mike Sokol is an old friend and he has been trying to educate people about RPBG for years.

Its a little sad that those cheap testers are so ubiquitous, but worse, people trust them. I have a handful of prototype OD-1s out with beta testers and they report seeing actual electrical inspectors in the field using the cheap 3-lamp testers to check building wiring safety with.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

NCVT non-contact voltage testers can also help identify hazardous energized safety grounds and hot equipment chassis.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
NCVT non-contact voltage testers can also help identify hazardous energized safety grounds and hot equipment chassis.

JR

I have one of those cheap and simple non contact voltage testers, Will be part of my Live Gigs utilities from now on

JohnRoberts said:
yeap, received today :)
cant wait to play with it  8)  :) 8) ;D 8) :eek: 8) ;)
i didnt know it was coming with the sticks!
thats is extra great... thanks!

edit:  ??? why  my reply is still in quote!

kambo said:
JohnRoberts said:

yeap, received today :)
cant wait to play with it  8)  :) 8) ;D 8) :eek: 8) ;)
i didnt know it was coming with the sticks!
thats is extra great... thanks!

edit:  ??? why  my reply is still in quote!
fixed the quote HTML for ya..
---
When I designed that second generation package I wanted to be able to use drum sticks, in the round strut ports, but I figured after the fact that the diameter of drum sticks would vary too much.. Then I tried various different polymer round stock, but they were all too wimpy and sagged more than good old school wood (oak or maple) dowels.  I toyed with the idea of getting some custom drum sticks made but that would be more sizzle than steak.  So you get some plain jane dowels, that do the job of supporting the tuner at reference height..

JR

Latest posts

Back