Ethical question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy Peters said:
kambo said:
edit: btw i have recorded in some very respectable studios in east coast, they all had number of  crack plugins;
only reson they were using crack version, was due  crack ones somewhat were more stable

Not for one nanosecond do I believe that a cracked version is more stable than a licensed release.

They are just lying to themselves and trying to make it seem like they have a "legit excuse" for basically stealing.

Believe what you like old chap - this is a fact for many people. Cracked copies of plugins are frequently more stable than their properly licensed and authorised counterparts.  Strengthening the copy protection part of many vst plugins by the manufacturers seems to make them less reliable and efficient.

rob_gould said:
Andy Peters said:
kambo said:
edit: btw i have recorded in some very respectable studios in east coast, they all had number of  crack plugins;
only reson they were using crack version, was due  crack ones somewhat were more stable

Not for one nanosecond do I believe that a cracked version is more stable than a licensed release.

They are just lying to themselves and trying to make it seem like they have a "legit excuse" for basically stealing.

Believe what you like old chap - this is a fact for many people. Cracked copies of plugins are frequently more stable than their properly licensed and authorised counterparts.  Strengthening the copy protection part of many vst plugins by the manufacturers seems to make them less reliable and efficient.
Is that an oxymoron? Cracked plug-ins are more stable than legal ones, that are missing dongles and other proper proof of ownership.  :eek:

We don't need no stinkin badges.... Trust me.

JR

Gene Pink said:
So you get some plain jane dowels, that do the job of supporting the tuner at reference height.
And they are dual purpose dowels, if you like Chinese food. ;-)

Gene

they might be,
if you like something thick and long in your mouth  ;)

JohnRoberts said:
rob_gould said:
Andy Peters said:
kambo said:

Is that an oxymoron? Cracked plug-ins are more stable than legal ones, that are missing dongles and other proper proof of ownership.  :eek:

We don't need no stinkin badges.... Trust me.

JR

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Steinberg-Copy-Protection-Problems-m633654.aspx

This is admittedly ten years old, but was the first hit when searching for an example on google.  I'm sure more recent stories wouldn't be hard to find.

I use Cubase and in the more recent versions, the copy protection has not been broken so comparing cracked vs dongled version is not possible, but the version I'm running (7.0) certainly has plenty of bugs, and (admittedly speculating here) I can easily imagine that some of them are caused by interference from dongle access / copy protection.

rob_gould said:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Steinberg-Copy-Protection-Problems-m633654.aspx

This is admittedly ten years old, but was the first hit when searching for an example on google.  I'm sure more recent stories wouldn't be hard to find.

I use Cubase and in the more recent versions, the copy protection has not been broken so comparing cracked vs dongled version is not possible, but the version I'm running (7.0) certainly has plenty of bugs, and (admittedly speculating here) I can easily imagine that some of them are caused by interference from dongle access / copy protection.

FWIW, it's something I also witnessed: when I used to work in big time studios with a lot of computers and a lot of different software and plugins, the easiest solution was buying all the plugins but installing the cracked versions, because all the different protection methods were simply a mess to deal with, so 20 minutes of downtime due to a protection misbehaving was not an option.

Spino said:
when I used to work in big time studios with a lot of computers and a lot of different software and plugins, the easiest solution was buying all the plugins but installing the cracked versions, because all the different protection methods were simply a mess to deal with, so 20 minutes of downtime due to a protection misbehaving was not an option.

This was common in all "real" studios around here as well. I think technology has gotten better over the years, but ilok can still be a killer.

Jakob E.

Back