At $89.50(us dollar) this 8 channel mic pre screams mod me

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Nady was copied from the SM audio in Australia their
product is the PR8 and looks nearly the same.
I have bought the PR8 and there is a nice thread here on the mods.

I am doing a crazy mod and may end up putting over $400 worth
of Lundahl iron under the hood. Why because I can.
The goal is to make it sound better than a Focusrite Octipre.
Since the Octipre used 5532's it should be a piece of cake.

On the issue of XLR inputs on the front and XLR outputs on the rear.
I challenge you to put 16 XLR's on the back panel of a 1 rack space chassis?

Things are done for a reason.
I also challenge you to make and sell a 8 channel mic pre for under
$11.50 per channel.

That Nady thing had 1/4" unbalanced outs on the back. At least that's what the description says.

[quote author="adrianh"]That Nady was copied from the SM audio in Australia[/quote]

If they look pretty much the same, chances are they're just re-branded Chinese boxes... Don't know about SM Audio, but it wouldn't be a first for Nady.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="adrianh"]That Nady was copied from the SM audio in Australia[/quote]

If they look pretty much the same, chances are they're just re-branded Chinese boxes... Don't know about SM Audio, but it wouldn't be a first for Nady.

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

well aren´t they all...??? at that price !!! *S*

Kind regards

Peter

I like the color of the SM Pro box better. :cool:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/bigpid/base_id/53919/
Same price as the Nady, too.

~ Charlie

It looks like the Nady is $10 cheaper. However, they do look like the HAVE to be the same exact thing.

I'm the fact checker of this thread! :green:

It occurred to me that this is THE communist business model! Copy the innovations of the West and extremely innovative eastern democracies like Japan and (gulp) Taiwan, make it cheaper and worse, and then make a bunch of the same thing, and put it in slightly different boxes.

Everyone gets the same (junky) thing (like their wages), despite the packaging. It's a conspiracy!!! It's also the death of innovation. Dear, communism.

:green:

Wrong perspective. They gave the proletarian DIY-er a pre-drilled chasis w/ IEC connector and some spare parts for only $99. Solder monkeys of the world unite.

Too bad the layout isn't so optimal for my forseeable use - I don't think 8 of any pre I'm thinking of building would fit. (Hamptone JFET perhaps?) TS will have to go, but it's on the back, so routing for more substantial jacks wouldn't mar the appearance much, even with my hamfisted packaging skills.

One idea I had thrown around but am less sure about implementing: for homegrown pres, there would be a certain convenience in reusing some basic features like phantom, pad, and polarity only on the channels where they are needed. Put the utility stuff in one box, and patch the mic through if you need it. If you aren't going to use more than eight condensors at a time, why have more than eight channels of phantom? An excessively modular approach, perhaps, but conceptually appealling.

Bear

[quote author="tubejay"]I'm the fact checker of this thread! :green:[/quote]So... this means you'll be buying a Nady and post pics here?? Seriously, if somebody gets one, pleeze post pics so that we can compare with the pics that were kindly posted by wiz1der. I can't get a digital cam to cooperate with me to take pics that close. :mad:

Funny thing that the Nady manual says its UNbalanced out on page 2 and then says TRS balanced on pages 5 and 6. Wassup!

HTH!
Charlie

Latest posts

Back