New 3D printer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe HP has just entered the 3D printing business that should drive down prices. A current debate is whether these will become mainstream manufacturing or remain for prototyping and niche products only.  I wouldn't bet too much against them, while early bets for them look shaky due to new competition.

JR

peterc said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NA00MWS/

So now Dremel are in on it, will it become more mainstream?

Peter

Yes. They are getting more and more mainstream.

These cheap versions are good for quick prototyping. At some point pretty much every design office will end up having at least one.

JohnRoberts said:
A current debate is whether these will become mainstream manufacturing or remain for prototyping and niche products only.

At present state the 3D printers are way too slow and the surface they leave is far from calling it "perfection". I'd think both of those will need to drastically improve before those printers can become "mainstream manufacturing".

Best, M

I agree with Marik.
The surface is still the problem with these printers.

Yes, there are ways to smooth the surface (e.g. acetone vapor),
but it will never look as good as the pictures in the ads.

...markus :)

So yes, these 3d-printers already have become mainstream and much-hyped by all tech-media

yet, a real application for them is still missing - other than poorly visualizing a 3d-design, or home-handcraft-art for kids

Printed plastic properties are still way too poor to be used for anything real, unfortunately

Jakob E.

What you pay, what you get.

I would not base my opinion on the cheaper versions of these machines. My jaw was dropped when I saw a fully functional planetary gearbox printed in one go. And I have a 30 years experience in prototyping under my belt.

Impressive results can also be obtained even from the cheapest ones. It is all about the finishing. It is not difficult at all to sand down the surface and spray it over. But you would have a hell of a time in trying to create the geometry manually.

However, I agree with Jacob that the great majority of the examples that are shown in literature is pretty ghastly and very amateurish.

This is still a new technology but the implications are powerful for flexible manufacturing with low inventory overhead, besides the raw material.

Not quite a star trek replicator but getting closer, be a little patient.

I had some SLA models made for an IM tool several years ago and they looked smooth enough.  Just like consumers tolerate MP3 quality, instant products made on the spot may find a market even with lower finish quality, but that seems like a process issue that can and will be improved.  or not.

JR

Back