Fun with Ferrules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I discovered these things called ferrules about six months ago. I don't know where they have been all my life because I find them very useful. I don't recall seeing anyone using them for projects around here.

These are ferrules and it is the correct way to terminate a wire if you are using a Phoenix type screw connector. I have never been happy using Phoenix style connectors when using bare stranded wire or tinning the ends. If you leave it bare, the strands want to come out from under the screw. If you tin the wire it becomes brittle and is likely to break. Ferrules solve the problem.

Ferrule-1.jpg

Here is the crimp tool I use with some assorted sizes

Ferrule-2.jpg

Then I had another idea. I am not a fan of the Molex KK connectors. They just seem flimsy to me. 0.1" headers like the KK connectors are very common with projects around here and  in DIY in general. I also much prefer a solder connection. I tried using a longer ferrule than needed and crimping the wire into the ferrule and then soldering to the KK header. I love it. You can do multiple solder cycles with no problem. Good for prototyping. It allows connections of one wire at a time on the header which can also be useful for troubleshooting.

Ferrule-3.jpg

Using the crimp pliers doesn't work for this because it crimps too much of the barrel. So I use an 1/8" pin punch.

Ferrule-4.jpg

I think I'm a genius for coming up with this. Maybe you will agree.

mjrippe said:
For the Phoenix, awesome.  For the Molex, why not just solder the wire instead of using a connector?

That's what I was doing. This is a big improvement. If you are using PVC jacketed wire the jacket will peel back with repeated soldering cycles. Even with teflon the wire will break off with repeated soldering cycles. If you want to keep wires dressed with the flexibility of repeated soldering cycles this works great.

They also work great on any screw terminal, barrier strip type connection. You can bend a long one around a screw shaft. Great anywhere you normally terminate with bare wire like a speaker connection. Great for terminating power connectors on extension cables. Makes stranded wire into solid core at the tip.

Latest posts

Back