DBX 900 rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considered it? Yes. I was trying to persuade a friend of mine into making a series of 900-compatible SSL Channel compressors. I think it was a really good idea, but he ended up using his own rack standard in stead.

But no 900-DIY-projects that I know of.

Jakob E.

Ooohhh...a DBX 900 series (or Aphex 9000 series, with the +/-24V rails) SSL module would be awesome. I wonder if it would work with the bus comp. If I dumped the stereo portion and used more SMT parts...

It sure would cut down on the enclosure cost per channel.

Did you ever start on a layout Jakob?

-dave

I've got to bump this one. I just picked up a DBX 900 Series rack, and would love to fill it with something other than the noise reduction units currently in it. Maybe the THAT 4301 comp/gate could be adjusted to work with the DBX 900's? Or maybe we just re-design the 903 using THAT 2181A's and modern components. I bet that would be a killer sounding box! Any interest?

Cheers,
Zach

But

Is there enough un-used 900-racks out there to legitimize a full-blown diy-project?

It seems to me that a simple euro-rack or the like is a better idea..

Jakob E.

Its a cool idea, we have some peeps doing 500 series API stuff for DIY (both commercial and non-commercial) and if you hang on a few months(ish) there should be a new rack system in production that is open standard and will have lots of cool DIY options plus commercial ones and it may even fit API500 with an adapter card......but thats all I should say.

The module size will be quite small though, so fitting PPM14 meters for G-SSL etc can't be done. The smaller the size the harder the DIY.

I think a 6-space (12HP wide - 60.6mm) euro subrack is the best compromise, should be able to squeeze a G-1176 or G-SSL easily....with cool meters.

Tom

What about the dbx noise reduction racks? Are they similar to the 900 series?

I've only seen them in a machine room before so I dont know much about them.

People are probably giving away noise reduction rack at the mo'.....

Peter

[quote author="gyraf"]But

Is there enough un-used 900-racks out there to legitimize a full-blown diy-project?

It seems to me that a simple euro-rack or the like is a better idea..

Jakob E.[/quote]

IMO I believe there is. 2 space 1 unit ones or the full blown 10? spacers. Usually are going for dirt cheap as well.

[quote author="peterc"]What about the dbx noise reduction racks? Are they similar to the 900 series?

I've only seen them in a machine room before so I dont know much about them.

People are probably giving away noise reduction rack at the mo'.....

Peter[/quote]

The DBX 900 series rack that I got was loaded with noise reduction units. Another cool thing with this platform is, Aphex is still making the 9000 series enclosures, and they are completely compatible with the dbx 900 series.

Cheers,
Zach

dbx900cardoutline.gif
I

I was just thinking for the moment of etching up a blank to attach my forsell opto comp board that's been sitting around my bench forever.

Anyhow, here's the dims, measured directly off of my 900 series comp.
the pins labelled in red could be sused for anything, they go to the aux. rear connectors on the unit.
Kelly

[quote author="mediatechnology"]For quick shots I still can't beat my floppy-based Sony Mavica. It's just rip-n-go with that camera.[/quote]
Apart from newer stuff, we still have one of those at work and it's still going strong. I like it a lot, have in fact been using it last week with a HP-box that doesn't do fancy datadumps.
What you said, rip-n-go. A camera with a 3.5" floppy drive, so cool. :cool:

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Keef et al are asking for the dbx 120.[/quote]
Have toyed around with some FX-octavers again, both hardware & software. Double-bass it was, and I don't mean those big wooden things.
So I'm indeed curious to the dBx-way of doing added oomph.

Regards,

Peter

I think the dub that we're doing at the moment finishes today.

Assuming that's accurate, I should be able to get in there tomorrow lunchtime and get some samples done. I'll have an assistant editor get some sounds ready for me.

Keith

Latest posts

Back