Refinishing a Neumann AM131 Lathe

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I recently acquired a Neumann AM131 lathe. The "baby Neumann". The finish has peeled up and is beyond repair. It has two types of finishes. One is the green "hammer tone" type finish you see on lots of older Neumann products. It also has a very dark green/black textured finish on other parts of it.

Does anyone know the type of finish it (they) are? Have DIN numbers? I want to do a historically correct restoration. I have a really good body shop near me that can probably do it. I know they do work for local sculptors. Powder coating was invented in the 1960's so I think that can safely be ruled out.

That sounds like a good investment. The hipsters are in love with vinyl but nobody is willing to restart manufacturing for new pressing machinery.

Old serviceable gear is probably increasing in value until it doesn't.

JR

Prices for lathes are sky high these days. A setup that would have sold for 30k USD a few years ago would sell for at least 45k today. I can deliver a fully working system and support it. That's not easy to find so I'll ask more.

This lathe isn't worth that but is a great candidate to try to refinish because it's not worth as much as a late model.

It would be impossible to manufacture a new lathe of the quality of a Neumann or a Scully for less than it cost to manufacture them originally.  CNC can get you closer faster but there is no getting around hand finishing. There is no reason a Scully or a Neumann can't work as new for another 50 years. They were so overbuilt there is almost no stress on any of the mechanics.

Did you get to the bottom of this, Paul? I spend half my life speaking to platers and finishers, so if you need any assistance, pop me a photo and I can pass it around.

I haven't gotten to it but it looks like I won't be getting to it for about two years.  I'm pretty sure it's an epoxy paint with  DIN number.

Latest posts

Back