CAD mics. Equitek E-200 upgrade?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi Friends,

I just got a second hand equitek E-200 mic. The schematic is inside the manual:

http://www.cadmics.com/pdf_files/e200_manual.pdf

Could you check what components would be upgraded for a better specs?
I found it a bit on the dark side...

Thanks in advance!

Synthi.

Synthi
You beat me too the link.
As a general rule cad mics are rather good.
This mic and the E100 are like no other ones on the planet as they use op-amps and ni-cad batteries trickle charged by the phantom supply.

I looked at the schematic and did not see any simple upgrades.
I assume the dark sound is the electret capsule. In a month I will
have a E200 of my own. If you still have issues then email me.
I will welcome a dark mic. I have too many $30.00USD cheap Chinese
mics and will welcome a different flavor.

Thanks for your reply,

I was trying the mic and I`ve found it really performs well, may be is "dark" compared to other mics but now I`m thinking is just linear, without high frequencies boost like other mics...

Best Regards,

Synthi.

Hi,

My e-200 sounds a bit on the bright side with recessed mids. I wish mine was dark sounding.

That being said, it's really good for acoustic guitar and some vocals.

-neil

I can tell it sounds dark by looking at the frequency graph ? there a dip around 6-8KHz which is the same place we?re used to hearing a boost in all the cheap Chinese mics. Then, the high end drops like a rock after 14-15KHz.

I?m with Adrian on the dark sound being the nature of the electret capsule. There?s certainly no caps to upgrade in the signal path.

I've always thought that you could find an application that could suit a particular mic and I'm sure you will for this one.

Looking at the specs I'd say if you change the capsule, the preamp and the housing you'll probably end up with a decent mic.

I personally think CAD mics are some of the worst microphones I've ever run across. Having said that I must admit that every once and a while I run across one that sounds OK.

Uh oh;
We awakened the Mic guru (bowing to the east (Denmark) now).
What Tim says is good. He is one of the few here that membranes capsules.
Hope to join him soon.

I will find someting I can use the CAD mics on.
If I get lucky I will post what that is!
Now off tho cram a Lundahl amphorous core into a MXL2001.
Anyone got a shoehorn?

[quote author="Tim Campbell"]...Looking at the specs I'd say if you change the capsule, the preamp and the housing...[/quote]Heh heh, other than that it's fine, right? :wink:

Looking at the specs I'd say if you change the capsule, the preamp and the housing you'll probably end up with a decent mic

May be I can keep the XLR conector? It`s a neutrik.....
:wink:

Just kidding. Thanks.

I bought an E200 once and took it home, thought it sounded a lot like a pair of Nakamichi CM-100 mics I had. Looked inside and sure enough - the capsules looked identical except for the color. Even though the electronics are radically different they sounded similar enough that I could hear they were very close timbre-wise.

nak_cm-100_schem.gif

The original link to manual doesn't work but this one does:
http://www.americanmusical.com//manuals/cad/e200_manual.pdf

Is the head amp really so bad? Couldn't it be used in externally biased capsule as well?

From what I remember the CAD-200 black and gold 2 inch wide cylindrical mic had a very harsh HF. I think I have mine paked away somewhere. I think I'll make my own toob mic PCB and use the case. I think the case had some boomy resonances to it also though.

[quote author="adrianh"]Synthi
You beat me too the link.
As a general rule cad mics are rather good.
This mic and the E100 are like no other ones on the planet as they use op-amps and ni-cad batteries trickle charged by the phantom supply.
[/quote]

Interesting coincidence. I just got off the phone with Tom at Cinemag who said defore they went "cheap" with Chinese capsules that they used to make great high end mics (blue colored) and used Cinemags.

-before my time in the studio :shock:

I have an old Cad E200 in a giant box and the mega spider mount. It has won vocal opinions several times. And still does. I also have a newer CAD E100/2 that is a nice mic in itself. Works well when a Audix D6 is TOO much on a kick and you want a more normal sound. Such as Jazz. I got the E100 free when I bought a E300 at a sale. And is a very nice all round mic for anything. The E300 makes a VERY realistic room mic when doing drums. And a great vocal mic as well. ALL were money well spent. None sound like Chinese LDC's

But then again the chain going into tape or daw may accentuate the flaws or benefits of any mic. I really like my CAD mics. I rent more expensive ones if requested. But many times they use them anyway. Don't be snobs. LOL!

The Old E200 is NOT dark! Dark means in essence Desser. It is mostly flat and neutral. Wich translates to a good take that allows manipulation later. I kinda like stuff that isn't too much of this or that. I can put the this or that in the chain or god forgive a plugin....

I believe the E200 was re-released after a cryout of people that used them. Cause it was unavailable for a while. Same as AT 4033's Both mics were staples on what they were used for and many albums were produced with "That Sound"

And I didn't hear Led Zeppelin complaining about 57 capsules! :green:

Back