Sony c48 cutting out

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duantro

Hi, I got a Sony c48 recently that is cutting out. Does anyone have a schematic for this? Im hoping it is a bad connection somewhere and not a capsule issue.

Well after getting it apart it looks like the membrane may be weighed down with much dirt! This thing is filthy. I'll try a spare capsule in here to confirm. Any suggestions on cleaning this capsule? Perhaps a super thin paint brush?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
Read this http://www.josephson.com/clean.txt

I use a $80 make up brush. It's super super soft and made from natural fibres. I stole it from my wife, she was super pissed. bahaha
Just go really really slow and super soft. Use a dry brush first to get any big particles off then diluted ISO with distilled water. Again super soft and slow slow slow. Make sure the diaphragm is completely dry before plugin the mic back in.  You may find after the damp brushing slight water droplet marks on the diaphragm. Use another dry brush after the damp brush to get rid of these. Make sure the brush/s are brand new........

Happy cleaning!

I would practice cleaning on a unwanted or damaged capsule first.

What has been posted can work on a new capsule however, things get tricky when the gold starts to lift.

IMO you need to think about this like an art restorer

Thanks for the tips, all seemed as what I had remembered reading a while back. I cleaned it up. Looked like a combo of spit and deteriorated foam from the case. I finally got to  test it and it works great now! Pretty great sounding mic. Used it for a mono drum overhead tonight and was pretty impressed.  Sony emailed me back and said they would have the capsules back in stock 1/27 for $290. Pretty reasonable price is say. Looks like I won't need one though!

Hello Aref,
Here You find a great Dokumentation  SSLtech posted a few Years ago.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22287.msg263439#msg263439
Greetings,
Lothar

Latest posts

Back