driving 2 VU's with one circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humner

I'm currently making up a custom remote for my Otari MX5050 tape deck. I have all the transport controls done including record LED.

However Otari left 4 spare pins on the connector and thought it  might be a cool idea to patch in a second pair of VU meters on the remote for reference. If I just wire the 2nd pair of VU meters in parallel with the existing would that generally be OK?

Humner said:
I'm currently making up a custom remote for my Otari MX5050 tape deck. I have all the transport controls done including record LED.

However Otari left 4 spare pins on the connector and thought it  might be a cool idea to patch in a second pair of VU meters on the remote for reference. If I just wire the 2nd pair of VU meters in parallel with the existing would that generally be OK?
On the Otari 5050, the 3.9k resistor is on the board. Putting another meter directly in parallels will impair calibration and response. You need to pick the drive from the meter buffer and add your own 3.9k (except if there is one built in the meter).

Thank you both for this information.

I haven't got an AC VU meter on hand at the moment, but have sourced a sifam AL29 for very cheap and will test further when it arrives.

Just wanted to come back and say I finished the project and to say thanks again - the information was invaluable.

Worked perfectly taking the meter buffer feed before the 3.9k  and giving the SIFAM meters their own 3.6k resistor. abbey road d enfer - this tip saved me a lot of headache. Much appreciated.

Here is a video of the remote in action. I'm passing a track through the MX5050 monitoring off the playback head and recording back into DAW.

http://youtu.be/KyBRgQfOcyQ

Back