transformer(less) Dual LA2A / D.I & D.OUT active prefab modules ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredW

Hi all DIYers here !

I plan to make a dual LA-2A but with little mods on the inputs & ouputs.  I've also read a bunch of topics here and there.
My first approach would have been, like some mastering engineers, to look more for linearity rather than coloration, that means, by removing the input / output transformers, at the price of unbalanced in/outs.

But I wondered : why not balance and unbalance signals with kind of DI / DO circuitry ? And a commutator to get best of both worlds (transformer / transformerless signals) both symmetrical ?

I know there is a lot of topics treating about this, more and less. But I wondered if someone here did heard about prefab modules which could  make the job ("""emulate"""  the impedances of the transformers but with a linear frequency response, of course - and their gain), all in a simple little module of the size of a transformer which you can plug instead the  trafo.  Simple kind of active D.I / D.OUT principle, with high dynamic range and low noisefloor, with a clever size and ready to fit instead of the transformer, you see ?

I remember I saw this kind of thing for """emulating""" 1:1 and 4:1 transformers gains and fixed Z in / Z out values / or impedance adapters on a DIY page that I cannot find now ! I searched for hours, found a lot of DI circuits, but not a kind of trafo replacement one.
If someone know where can I find this...It would be really appreciated !!

I am interested for your different point of views.

Thanks in advance for your answers  ;)

Back