Painton faders, elma is doing recreations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Well that's kinda crazy.  Is there really such demand?  And the price structure? 

Data sheet is a bit thin. Are these wired as regular unbalanced pots or are they  constant impedance like the originals?

Cheers

Ian

emrr said:
Well that's kinda crazy.  Is there really such demand?  And the price structure?

There must be as they been working on this for a  good while now.

ruffrecords said:
Data sheet is a bit thin. Are these wired as regular unbalanced pots or are they  constant impedance like the originals?

Cheers

Ian

Ian good call, I am not sure.  I know about as much on these recreations as you do at this point.

IIRC the price call is a bit high... But I am interested in any informations available about these :)

It is true that they won't sell that much I guess, but it is important to me that they are re released, just to pay respect to these early and beautiful design... Let's not forget about this :)

Didn't George Harrison have a huge Neve with the Painton faders in his 'home studio'  :)

Massive and beautiful - he apparently had a thing for 'proper faders' 
(although I can't remember where I heard/saw/read it !)

Spiritworks said:
Didn't the originals increase gain as the fader was pulled towards the operator?

That's a BBC thing where all faders are wired fade up as they are pulled towards you. It is simply a matter of  rotating a regular fader by 180 degrees before fitting it.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Spiritworks said:
Didn't the originals increase gain as the fader was pulled towards the operator?

That's a BBC thing where all faders are wired fade up as they are pulled towards you. It is simply a matter of  rotating a regular fader by 180 degrees before fitting it.

Or rotate the engineer

Was it BBC consoles that had an endstop switch for PFL at -∞? Lean too hard on a fader at the backstop and that channel would suddenly go into PFL solo

Nick Froome

pvision said:
endstop switch for PFL at -∞?

That's every Daven/Altec/Langevin in America with a cue position for sure.  There it still acts like 'off' while dumping into a PFL channel. 

Many broadcast faders had a couple of micro-switches. An over-press at ∞ for PFL and another that closed as soon as the fader moved off ∞ that was used to start a disc or tape player.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Many broadcast faders had a couple of micro-switches. An over-press at ∞ for PFL and another that closed as soon as the fader moved off ∞ that was used to start a disc or tape player.

Cheers

Ian

Funny you mention that. I worked on a broadcast neve console not to long ago that had a stop  at ∞ and if you went pasted it, It would take that channel and feed it to a separate lil speaker in the console. I guess this would be to check what was on the channel before sending it out into the world? kind of neat lil feature. 

> take that channel and feed it to a separate lil speaker in the console.

Geez, didn't anybody work in radio?

You pot-down to the click. Put the record on the turntable, drop the needle. You hear tinny scratches inside the console, then the opening notes of the song. Put your finger on the record and pull it back (hence a velvet mat) to before the first note. Put the turntable in Neutral (or just hold the disk with your finger) until time to go. Pot-up.

Obviously the same process works for remote feeds. When the tinny voice says "it's starting!" you pot-down what you were doing and pot-up the guy at the news event.

"CUE".

The internal speaker is deliberately awful so you can not confuse the cue channel with the program (on-air) channel. Small unbaffled speaker, and often doped with shellac to harden and rat-up the treble.

[/quote]

pucho812 said:
PAINTON FADERS NOW AVAILABLE!!!! After many delays they finally appear.... Also the Data sheet is here as well.... They will be available from Jeff Steiger in the USA and stay tuned for UK and European distributors. Any questions please e-mail [email protected]

I am working with ELMA America and cannot seem to find any information on a elma painton fader outside of this thread. We've been on the grind trying to find a solution to our REDD recreation and any help is appreciated.

EmRR said:

There is a HUGE demand for these. My wife demands we figure out a solution or (in her words) "she'll figure it out for me." Safe to say we are going to find or recreate a Painton Fader, some how.

Any other insight into DIY developments, I know there are GS and GDIY posts we've researched but nothing has colesced. We are aware of the issues with the original design and feel it can be overcome by rethinking the design.

Any help is appreciated.

pucho812 said:
Yeah me toy. Was on their Facebook page for a minute  like in the links and then nothing more about it. maybe their client pulled out?

VERY Interesting, meaning... they likely have some early working concepts.

I can say in our research "Painton Fader" was incorprated in the US in 2016 while there are a few console designers claiming to have PF's as an option there sites dont have any information other then "we can make them"

I have emailed our contact at Elma America.

matriachamplification said:
VERY Interesting, meaning... they likely have some early working concepts.

I can say in our research "Painton Fader" was incorprated in the US in 2016 while there are a few console designers claiming to have PF's as an option there sites dont have any information other then "we can make them"

I have emailed our contact at Elma America.

Cool keep me posted

I have just heard back from Elma. Unfortunately it was an employee who was spearheading the build of the Painton Faders and for reason unknown it didn't happen in the end.

Direct question. What ballpark would designing and creating a modern version of Painton Faders cost?

I have no bearing on what this may even cost. Help?

matriachamplification said:
I have just heard back from Elma. Unfortunately it was an employee who was spearheading the build of the Painton Faders and for reason unknown it didn't happen in the end.

Direct question. What ballpark would designing and creating a modern version of Painton Faders cost?

I have no bearing on what this may even cost. Help?

I had some ideas to do something like this. Wanted to make it such a way that it would be x amount of positions that you could load in the resistors to be any value you want. But like most brain storming that’s  where it ended for now. 

Back