Power supply board - query

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I'm in the process of designing a power supply board, which I'll offer on the Black Market in due course, as well as writing it up for whichever magazine wants to accept it. It'll be an attempt at a semi-universal board for low-voltage low-to-medium current circuits -- in other words, preamps, line amps, compressors; the kind of stuff we all mess with when we're playing with solid state. Typically it'd have +/- something or other, up to maybe 36 volts, plus a single separate circuit -- you could use for 5V logic supply, or 48V phantom supply. Not a super world-beating circuit like the Jung regulator, but way better than bog-standard, and very versatile. (You could even use the regulators as pre-regs for something like the Sulzer or Jung supply.) I've taken a lot of care to keep RF crud (from diode switching) out of the outputs.

Here's my question. I'm building the board with everything on it except the transformers -- two-stage raw supply, three regulators of the LM317/337 or (in the case of two of them) TL783 class. (You could use LT1085s for the positive regs if you wanted.) There will be a cut line down the middle of the board, between the first filter cap bank and the second stage of the filter, so you can mount the first part with the xformers in a remote supply box, with the second-stage filter and the regs in the box with the audio circuits. But there are two ways to do this.

My board, as it's developing, is 3" wide and 9" long; it can be sliced, if the user wishes, into pieces 3 x 4" (raw supply) and 3 x 5" (second stage and regs). It's nice and elegant-looking -- but is a 3 x 9" board ridiculously large? Would I be better putting the two halves side-by-side rather than nose-to-tail, to create a 6 x 5" board (still sliceable, but a 5" slice rather than a 3")? Or will almost everyone slice it in half anyway, so it won't matter?

To clarify (with small files), here's the long version:

longbd.gif

and the wide one:

widebd.gif

I confess I like the idea of the long one for several reasons, most important of those being that I've already laid out almost all of the parts for it! But also because the jumpers, in the unsliced version, are nice and short, and the regulators / outputs aren't sitting right next to the diodes and AC input.

Peace,
Paul

Why does the long version need jumpers? Run traces between solder-pads across the saw-line. If they don't cut, it works as-is. If they cut, they need jumpers and they also have to avoid jamming the ends of the board against metal, no big deal.

Before you get too far: check out Joe's PS board:
http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm

US$14 for board and US$35 with all PCB parts is stiff competition. Not that Joe lives on PCB sales, but the market may not be big enough for the both of you. Not to get decent economy-of-scale.

> the regulators / outputs aren't sitting right next to the diodes and AC input.

Indeed there is room for reasonable beings to disagree, and Joe's layout is tight. An alternate board would be good. Myself, 9 inches seems long, but for rack-mount gear it isn't.

Hey,

I did this one to fit 1U rack cases.... board #6. Have tons of it.

http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/buyboards.htm

schematic
http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/forumfiles/psu312sch_v1.pdf

cheers!
Fabio

[quote author="PRR"]Why does the long version need jumpers? Run traces between solder-pads across the saw-line. If they don't cut, it works as-is. If they cut, they need jumpers and they also have to avoid jamming the ends of the board against metal, no big deal. [/quote]

Yes, I considered that. Having the ragged traces sitting there offended some esthetic sense, I guess. And I worry about damaging the traces during the cutting process, maybe leaving the remains vulnerable to lifting?

Before you get too far: check out Joe's PS board:
http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm

US$14 for board and US$35 with all PCB parts is stiff competition. Not that Joe lives on PCB sales, but the market may not be big enough for the both of you. Not to get decent economy-of-scale.

Could be. Joe's board seems to be designed with a somewhat different intent, more on the order of "lean and mean"; mine's a halfway point between that and the "everything including the kitchen sink" school. I've got snubbers on the xformer secondaries, a careful combination of caps chosen for maximum RFI rejection, a 2-stage filter and high-power resistors and diodes. The phantom (or logic) supply is completely separate, with its own transformer; you can even separate the grounds, although I find it hard to imagine wanting to.

> the regulators / outputs aren't sitting right next to the diodes and AC input.

Indeed there is room for reasonable beings to disagree, and Joe's layout is tight. An alternate board would be good. Myself, 9 inches seems long, but for rack-mount gear it isn't.

Not only room for reasonable beings to disagree, but room (I hope) for them to agree that one board might be right for one application, the other for another. Mine for max flexibility, his for max compactness. Both are virtues.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back