Preamp Suggestion Overheads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsaimaster

Looking for preamp suggestions for overheads. Looking for a DIY solution for the preamp.  Current setup is as follows.
Source -------------------------> Mic ------------------> Preamp ------------> Compressor -----> EQ
Kick ----------------------------> AKG D112 ---------> GA573 -------------> dbx160xt --------> Pultec EPQ1
Subkick -----------------------> SKRM1000 --------> Direct --------------> 1176 Rev D 
Snare Top --------------------> Shure Beta 98-----> AML1073 ---------> Distressor -------> AML1073
Overhead Left ---------------> Apex 205 mod----->    ?-------------------> LA3A -------------> REDD47
Overhead Right -------------> Apex 205 mod ---->    ? ------------------> LA3A -------------> REDD47
Room --------------------------> Royer 121 ---------> VP312 -------------> TG1 ---------------> EZ1084EQ
Tom ----------------------------> MD421 --------------> VP26     
Floor Tom --------------------> Shure Beta 52a ---->VP26     

Attachments

• After move.jpg
    After move.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 163
Lately I've been using  ez1290s for the overheads with SnB for parallel compression w/ 1176s

Nothing is wrong with this! It is a great sound just looking for the right preamp for that combination.

I can't speak to how well they might work for overheads, but if you  are looking for a good match for your 205 ribbons, I'd second the above suggestion for an API style preamp. I've been using a pair of Cascade Vinjets through a pair of WhistleRock 312 preamps and thought they matched up very well. Preferred them to the sound through my SCA C84s, N72s, and T15s. Nice being able to experiment with opamps, too.

Are you asking a technical question or just looking for enablers for gear-lust?

That was a rhetorical. If you cannot make the above setup work you need a complete change a scenery. Perhaps stamp collecting?

I second Winetree. I like the beta 52 on the floor tom:) I used a 412 on an 18" FT on my last session. My new default

I would also agree with the API!

I had a pair racked by Brent Averill that was fast and clear, but not too fast or too clear!

Nice balance and I think would be great with your ribbons

My favorite right now is my CAPI VP312s with gar2520s. Great API sound and the gars are punchy but smooth on top. Sounds great on overheads.

john Hardy twin servo stereo with stepped attenuator, perfect for matched mic
tried with schoeps, bk and coles, always happy with the results, of course, need a very good drummer too

Bonsaimaster said:
Looking for preamp suggestions for overheads. Looking for a DIY solution for the preamp.  Current setup is as follows.
Source -------------------------> Mic ------------------> Preamp ------------> Compressor -----> EQ
Kick ----------------------------> AKG D112 ---------> GA573 -------------> dbx160xt --------> Pultec EPQ1
Subkick -----------------------> SKRM1000 --------> Direct --------------> 1176 Rev D 
Snare Top --------------------> Shure Beta 98-----> AML1073 ---------> Distressor -------> AML1073
Overhead Left ---------------> Apex 205 mod----->    ?-------------------> LA3A -------------> REDD47
Overhead Right -------------> Apex 205 mod ---->    ? ------------------> LA3A -------------> REDD47
Room --------------------------> Royer 121 ---------> VP312 -------------> TG1 ---------------> EZ1084EQ
Tom ----------------------------> MD421 --------------> VP26     
Floor Tom --------------------> Shure Beta 52a ---->VP26   
I would say, for overheads, preamps do not matter as much as mics. Typically, you need clean preamps, not "character". But changing mics, as well as their position and orientation, will give you a whole palette of possibilities that no preamp-swapping can.
There are many possibilities, such as SSL9K or anything based on THAT 1510/12 chips.
Why don't you use the REDD47's? With the money you save, you could buy a nice pair of ATM450's.

Latest posts

Back