Old Ramsa 820 and Ian's Twin Line Amps!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tskguy

So I recently fifnished this little prject and I thought it would be fun to share. Late last year I acquired an old 80's vintage Ramsa board  in fairly good condition. I had the urge to get out of the box for EQ and summing! Why not right? So after investing way to much in cables and TT patch panels I started mixing. I quickly noticed a issue with the right left buss amps sounding a bit off. First I balanced the outputs with some of Cinemag's API output transformers. (yes the stereo out was unbalanced) That helped the sound 
in a great way but I still had an issue with the balance being off.  So I decided to replace the old solid state  buss amp with a pair of Ian's TLA cards! After some back and fourth with Ian he determined the correct configuration for the virtual earth summing this board uses.  I used Cinemag output again, Dave is just a great guy to deal with!  As well as replacing the output fader...
In order to add these amps to the board I had to remove the existing PSU and move it to an external case as well as build a HV and HT PS for the TLA cards. This all came through a 10 conductor cable to the back of the board to power everything. That was way more challenging than I thought it would be! Mostly grounding issues.. I cant thank Ian enough for helping through all of that fun stuff :).. Any way here are some pictures and I mix that I did through the board. Mix is 27 or so tracks all going through channels on the board and then summed through the TLA cards to an SSL comp and back in to pro tools... Mix is still a work in progress but you can tell the width and clarity are top notch!! THANKS IAN!!!!

Here is the song! Be nice :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/10tllx8fstfpsma/boom3.wav?dl=0

Many compliments for you modding ,
I made my 32 channels passive summing mixer ( http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52068.120) with the HUGE help of IAN and the summing mixer sound is FANTASTIC !!!
IAN THOMPSON BELL RULEZ  !!!

Back