just built a royer mic and having a very odd problem - help?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramadisease

so i just finished up a royer mxl2001 mic the other night and it sounded pretty good. I used an auracap for the output cap and a solen for the cap off the condenser backplate. i subbed in a Cinemag 2480 instead of the jensen and i really like the sound! except one really odd problem that im hoping is not the capsule in anyway.

on loud transients (playing drums) when going from kinda soft to very loud very fast, the signal clips - and in protools looks kinda halfwave rectified. it sounds like the signal just hit a brick wall and loses all midrange for as long as the transient is happening. its not every time though i hit hard - but most.

could this be a bad electrolytic in the psu? the royer psu uses a voltage trippler to get the 100v off of a 24vac transformer.

could anyone advise me as to what could be the problem and what i should do to fix it?

thank you!
-bryan sours

except one really odd problem that im hoping is not the capsule in anyway.
it shouldn't be a problem. what mic pre are you using? how are you going into pro tools? I havn't done the royer mod so I am not sure how it is supposed to react and sound. But it could be something as simple as input to pro tools is too hot. You may have the level fine for quiet passages but the moment the drummer or any other instrument starts rocking out and getting loud you know have high gain on a loud instrument which inturn would output form the pre /console loud level which would clip in pro tools. your wave file should look like it is squaring off. Try to lower the volume first. Then try a limiter.
I doubt there anything wrong with ther royer because a bad componant and it wouldn't work properly.

digi001 mic pre
nah its not clipping into protools i see it clipped inside protools (on the screen) ive screwed with the pre a bunch its toally happening in the mic.
im thinking its in the psu but im not 100percent sure and dont want to go tearing it up before i know for sure.

yeah the tube definatly sounds like its in saturation. ill change the cathode resistor, and the plate while im in there, just incase that resistor is going south - and starving the tube.

after micing a bassdrum it got 30times worse and would only allow loud signals through and clipped them to pieces. there was a time issue though, where if i played very soft for a while it would slowly allow more and more signal though with less clipping.

do voltage triplers work with only electrolytic caps? or can i use nonpolar caps in there?

thanks again
-bryan sours

Is the circuit built on a PCB. If so make sure the PCB is very clean at the tube pin connections.

Latest posts

Back