buying 1176 parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache5

GDIY Supporter
Hi to all, Im reading that forum and the other for some months and I finally can start my first DIY project. Now im searching all parts for one 1176 clone (I have the pc board now). Im using the parts list that i found in Gyraf web-page. I have some cuestions about the parts... First what potentiomenters are more "critical" to spend more money in them, input and output? attack and release? its not critical? and i have no idea about the power that they must have... im seeing log pots and finding 0.1w , its not too poor?
Another question is: its a good option try to use black gate caps (standar) or nichicon ones, I have some problems to find it in all electrolitic types that i need (especialy with 6.8uF that I think its not E12).

mmm... what are the sensible parts that can improve the sound quality in 1176 clone... that is the question... and the think about potenciometer power need.

I think that there are more questions and maybe there are stupid ones, im starting with all these and i have got some problems with my english... :?

thanks all

Arnau

hi arnau...

no prob with your english...!!

the 6,8 µ are not really so important... you can use 10µ instead
or just use 4,7µ and 2,2 in parallel on the backside of the board...

mm

Oks... thanks for info... i supose that the capacity of these afect the bass frequencies that pass, isnt it? is it to block D.C component of the signal?

Arnau

Sorry I could not locate the huge 1176 thread so I post here.

Well, I get these 1176 boards from a wonderful man in the UK.
I am wondering about VCA's when in comes some of these DBX modules.
I am thinking I will have to rewire the board when, low and behold, some genius made an either/or slot for either that THAT type of VCA or the old DBX!
Now I try the DBX in the holes and it fits perfectly, thank you!
My question is this.
Is this the right type?
And, has anybody cloned one?
Thanks!
cj

dbx_vca_1.jpg

Hi CJ,

The SSL-Clone pcb is made for DBX202 VCA module's. I don't know if the 2001 is the same, but if it's pin compatible, I would guess that it is.

Jakob E.

[quote author="Apache5"]First what potentiomenters are more "critical" to spend more money in them, input and output? attack and release? its not critical? and i have no idea about the power that they must have... im seeing log pots and finding 0.1w , its not too poor?[/quote]

I think there is some agreement amongst DIYers that cheap Taiwanese pots feel good. Wow, this is sounding wrong. What I mean is that they generally have a good, damped and smooth action. I used to use a lot of US made pots - Allen Bradley, Clairostat etc and they usually felt 'cheap' even though electrically they might have been better than the Asian ones. Don't know - haven't used a US pot in ages. I'll pass on commenting about which pots you should spend more money on except to say as long as they aren't damaged I think most pots are probably ok. I know there are people who can hear the difference between components like that but I'm not one of them, unless the pot is dirty.

Also, I asked Jakob once about the wattage of the pots since there is one marked on the schematic as 2 watts but he said common ones are fine. No need to buy a 2 watt pot.

update...just pulled out an old Jensen preamp board I made years ago - it's got two 10k reverse log Allen Bradley pots on it and they feel pretty nice. Two funny things about them - they've got 1/8 inch shafts and they are actually made in Mexico! Señor Allen Bradley to you!

Jakob,

Yes the 2001 is fully pin-for-pin interchangeable with the 202, and is a class-A VCA.

CJ,

Lay off the Rockstar, Dude... :green: -You're confusing the 1176 with the SSL! :roll:

Keef

BTW, I powered up an SSL clone for 'GilP' yesterday who had used 2001s in it. It works very well, though he did fry his 78L12 and 79L12 by putting them in the wrong way round!

The makeup gain worked, so I know that the VCAs worked in the circuit, but we can't do the distortion trim or anything until he gets the new regulators, but as soon as it's all in & working, I'll post results and readings (THD/Noise/freq. response) if anyone is interested.

keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
but as soon as it's all in & working, I'll post results and readings (THD/Noise/freq. response) if anyone is interested.

keith[/quote]

Yes, please do! :thumb:

Hi Apache5,

I'm also from Spain and I'm on the way of building a G7, a G9 and a 1176. What are your sources for components ?

Saludos :wink: ,

holy mackerel!
I have two SSL's then!
What am I going to do with two bus compressors?
Again, anybody ever clone the DBX 2001?
Sorry I am in the wrong place.
I will post all other questions at the SSL thread.
cj

Cat, I've gotten a bunch of stuff from www.amidata.es , that is RS in Spain. You can even pick up your order somewhere in Madrid and not have to pay shipping charges. The other stuff, my sobrina is bring from the EE.UU.

Maybe the 3 or 4 of us here in España can trade ideas for sources of parts.

Esta noche....fiesta en la playa...la noche de San Juan!!!!!!!!

Karl
Nerja

Regarding the polyester caps, what's the difference between the B Series and the MKT Series? Is either preferred?

I remember using the MKT series in the SSL clone I built.

Also, I can't remember about the Lorlin switches... shorting or non-shorting? I'm thinking non-shorting... doesn't non-shorting break one connection before making another?

Im looking for polyester caps and i find polypropilene ones.... in datasheet they say that polypropilene are substitutes for polyester ones in audio and hf aplications. Its true? can i buy polypropilene ones and they work best? :?

Arnau

Latest posts

Back