[BUILD] STA LEVEL PCB OFFICIAL BUILD & HELP THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, got that, but I am looking for the whole chassis with a hinged front panel, not only the faceplate ;)

Or did I miss something?

frontpanels.de offers powder coating, cutting and engraving, if you send them the existing enclosure... but i can not find this authentic style of chassis... but maybe I'm stupid ::)

No, you are not stupid! ;)

Ok, all three are delivering "normal" enclosures as well. You don't need to send them an existing enclosure.

But you are talking about somenthing like this or? ;)

http://www.ladislavbrezovnik.com/diy/STA-LEVEL/Gates%20STA-Level%20M5167/Gates_Sta-Level_7.jpg

Cheers, Sven

exactly! ;)
Obviously the original enclosure has not enough depth to fit an PCB, so I am looking for a reissue with an authentic hinged faceplate; like Bernd's.
Therefore I asked where Bernd got his fancy case from :)

Hi,
All depend on the depth of your case. Since this project is pcb based it won't fit in cases made to the original sizes. If your cases are at least 18cm deep, you are our man. Looking forward to see some pictures.
Bernd

Hi bernd,

just a quick one. Meter Simpson Model 27 200mA AC?
Not DC and not Voltage, right!?

ROCK-ON!

You'll need a DC meter.  I do not really remember how much mA the meter I use has got. 200mA should do.
Edit: a standard VU meter works fine as well, although meter movement doesn't reflect the faster attack/release values as nice as a DC meter.
Bernd

Thanks!
I'll have a look on evil bay.

Just ordered from Sowter the input and output transformers - when my PayPal invoice popped up my heart stopped beating
for a while... hell!!  :eek:  :eek:
I'm happy not decided to go for a stereo build.

Now putting the mouser card together...

ROCK-ON!

P.S. Update:
EmRR said:
No, it's a 1mA meter.

The original unit uses a 200uA (micro) meter. I have tried to use a 1mA in my Drip Sta Level built, but It's not possible to adjust it correctly.

Hi bernd

Glad to see  your new project.
It seems to be an amazing project for the vintage lovers.
How it sound with your wima and nichiden caps ?

best

I used Vishey (?) caps. Well , the units sounds really great. The thing I love most is that you can't hear any compression (artefacts) at all. You wouldn't believe that it compresses until you watch the meter and look at the waveform. The huge amount of gain is just insane.  Today I plugged in a tube mic directly into the compressor. Just crazy.
Bernd

Yeah I know this beast
I had a chance to play some hours with on a Sta Level few years ago.
it was a killer in the 60s
.I'm curious to hear the demo samples  of your clone on drums ,bass ,vocal.

best

It depends very much on the transformers you are going to use.  Tube projects are alway more expensive than solid state projects.  I didn't really take care about costs, but my impression is that you can build it for less.
Bernd

Back