[BUILD] STA LEVEL PCB OFFICIAL BUILD & HELP THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts are currently arriving, I went for Sowter in and out TX. What is the norm for fixing transformers to chassis? Some sort of metal bracket?

Gareth

Is 2 vu meters necessary  for a stereo set?
I plan to build it looking mono but inside stereo, with more gangs on the rotary switches.
Does this design need a vu meter on both sides to work properly?

Can someone advice me a calculator or resistor values for the input and output switches to replace the pots?

Thanks!

Hi,
Should be possible with a single, switchable meter. Measure the internal resistance of the meter you're going to use and take a resistor with the same value. The input pot in a mono unit is already a dual pot. For a stereo unit you need a rotary switch with four decks. There is a resistor calculator for log pot to rotary switch around here.
Best
Bernd

Hi Guys,

have we already some running units around? Some nice inside pix would be great.
I'm on my way putting things together.

Here are some things i stumbled across and i'm not sure...
- The BOM calls for C11S 470uF, the PCB 1uF?!
I'll think 1uF is right, isn't it? YES!

- The BOM calls for 6 Relays, but how do they fit all on the relay board?! Do I miss something?

- For the Lorlins, is there a hint for mounting them in the right position? PCB S2 => #2 Lorlin ?

- C7SA/B/C I used some "normal" (little) Caps (they look a bit lost on the pcb?!), do these have an audible effect?
Is it worth to try some "higher" quality caps there?
Or what was the intension for the big space around there?

ROCK-ON!

HI Bernd,

thanks for pointing me to these files again .
I totally forgot about these, it was to long ago when i down loaded them.

But concerning the relay board i'm still confused?! Is this just an option?

ROCK-ON!

Yes, you can use the true bypass pcb for the gates optional. You only need two relays for the bypass pcb.
C11s is 1uF. In fact the lorlins can't really be mounted wrong.  Verify that A1 is at about 1 o'clock .  C7abc can be axial or radial. Size doesn't matter as long as the values are right. My unit works extremely well. I'm using 6386 input tube. Tested 6BA6 tubes as well. Behaviour is a bit different. Soundwise I can't hear any significant difference.
Best
Bernd

Hi Bernd,

thanks a lot.
For the Lorlin, i'll try to figure it out (50:50 chance, i'll think).

An other short one.
I missed ordering D19 (BIAS PSU). What are the critical electrical characteristics if looking for a replacement?
I found at Conrad 2 that might be close enough?! ZPY130V and Z1SMA100 (maybe just as an in between solution).

ROCK-ON!

Hey

A question about the rotary switches you use. According to the BOM at the beginning of this topic I should use a 1x12 Lorlin for the recovery PCB. But when I look at the schematics it's that it should be a 2x6 Lorlin. Or am I missing something?

Mvg, Thomas

I also seem to have some trouble finding the 6AL5 rectifier tube. Can I use an alternative dual rectifier tube that's more commonly available?

Regards, Thomas

Latest posts

Back