Poor Man's EQP1A (+MID) Mark 2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
The PMEQP1A MK2 PCB is 150mm by 50mm. It is not part of the EZTube Mixer range. It will fit horizontally in a 1U case but don't forget you also need to find room for the pots.

The 3U 3Band Pultec PCB was part of the EZTube MIxer range. It was never made because of the problems containing all the controls inside a standard 3U high module. I will delete it from that folder as it is confusing. The P3B.png is the original 3 band Pultec PCB layout. This pre-dates the lunch box design and is to0 tall to fit vertically  in a 3U EZTube Mixer module. However, it will fit horizontally with ease in a 3U rack box - in fact it will fit in a 1U enclosure.

If you want to do a stereo stepped pot 3 band Pultec you need quite a lot of front panel space.
Yes, I was just having a spare 2U 11"deep rack,
and although a 3bandPultec might be available for the EzLunchbox I don't know if a stepped version will be doabel there, preamp + eq. I understand I want much, but when thinking it through, making a 3bandpulteq, then it's not much more to add to get the preamp as well.
And planning using it for masterbus, then stepped is really important.
For masterbus it's more about the tube-sweetning than a master eq.
But then, one really just know how things work after finishing and trying it out :)

G-Sun said:
Yes, I was just having a spare 2U 11"deep rack,
and although a 3bandPultec might be available for the EzLunchbox I don't know if a stepped version will be doabel there, preamp + eq. I understand I want much, but when thinking it through, making a 3bandpulteq, then it's not much more to add to get the preamp as well.
And planning using it for masterbus, then stepped is really important.
For masterbus it's more about the tube-sweetening than a master eq.
But then, one really just know how things work after finishing and trying it out :)

Just for information, I am now working on new versions of all the EZTube Mixer 3U EQ boards that include a gain make up amplifier. The first one I am building and testing at the moment and it is the 3 band Pultec version. I know I said I never made a 3U 3band  Pultec PCB because of the problem of squeezing all the controls in, however we had a conversation about this many months ago after which  I did manage to achieve a 3U EZTube module front panel layout for the 3 band Pultec. The only way this can be squeezed into a the module front panel space is by using 9mm pots. I guess it you replaced these with those tiny ELMA switches you could make a stepped pot version.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Just for information, I am now working on new versions of all the EZTube Mixer 3U EQ boards that include a gain make up amplifier. The first one I am building and testing at the moment and it is the 3 band Pultec version. I know I said I never made a 3U 3band  Pultec PCB because of the problem of squeezing all the controls in, however we had a conversation about this many months ago after which  I did manage to achieve a 3U EZTube module front panel layout for the 3 band Pultec. The only way this can be squeezed into a the module front panel space is by using 9mm pots. I guess it you replaced these with those tiny ELMA switches you could make a stepped pot version.
Thank you Ian! Cool :)
Is it possible utilizing a 3rd space for the eq controls? And maybe some preamp-estate as well? (2ch pre + eq)
Are all pots now on pcb? In that case you've really achieved much on little space.
I'm sorry I'm a little back and forth regarding what I would like to build,
but this will possibly be a once in a lifetime build for me, so I better get it right. Or leave it.
I'm looking forward to see your 3U 3bandPulteq :)

It seems to me that a 3U EzTube Lunshbox with 2ch preamp + 3band pulteq, all stepped, seems doabel,
when using frontpanel as one space, and using those greyhill switch boards.
Any major concerns for that idea?

Edit: Having 4 boards + flyed stepped pots on one singel frontpanel is maybe a little unpractical.
Maybe I should think separate panels.
1 space for preamp (with offboard stepped gain), and
2 space for eq
(I'll continue in the appropriate thread)

G-Sun said:
ruffrecords said:
Thank you Ian! Cool :)
Is it possible utilizing a 3rd space for the eq controls? And maybe some preamp-estate as well? (2ch pre + eq)
Are all pots now on pcb? In that case you've really achieved much on little space.

I am good but not that good. The pots are all on flying leads. The PCB was originally designed for a guy who wanted to build a mixer with 50mm wide channels. Since the Lorlin switches have long shafts, the board has mounting holes so it can be attached to a front panel using stand offs. This makes room above the PCB so the pots can be fitted to the front panel and wired to the PCB.

Cheers

Ian

Hi, I don't want to hijack this interesting thread, but did anybody hear something new from Mr. Prescott and his custom inductors? His white market thread is gone again and all of his promises, too.

Should I open a new thread for that issue?  :mad:

rock soderstrom said:
Hi, I don't want to hijack this interesting thread, but did anybody hear something new from Mr. Prescott and his custom inductors? His white market thread is gone again and all of his promises, too.

Should I open a new thread for that issue?  :mad:

I sent him an email and he said he would get on with it. I said he should at least post in his white market thread to let everyone know what was going on. Shortly after that the white market thread disappeared. I any body wants to email him direct just drop me an email and I will send it to you.

Cheers

Ian

I just updated the build document because it has been pointed out that I never actually specified the part numbers for the Lorlin switches. BOM section has now been updated to include this information. You will find it under the DIY tab of my web site:

http://www.customtubeconsoles.com/diy

Click on the PMEQP1A folder and then on the MK2 folder to find the AssemblyInstructions document.

Cheers

Ian

If someone would work with me on choosing appropriate core/wire and designing an inductor to work well with this project I will offer to wind them at cost for members building this project.

I have a CNC winder and an itch to get more productivity from it.

MicDaddy said:
If someone would work with me on choosing appropriate core/wire and designing an inductor to work well with this project I will offer to wind them at cost for members building this project.

Basically it is a question of first identifying the core size, then the material (and hence Al). From that you can calculate the turns for the required inductances and that should tell you the largest size wire you can use. All I can tell you is that the cores are 25mm in diameter and 16mm high. That is probably enough to identify the core as RM something or other.

Cheers

Ian

MicDaddy said:

I'm very interested in this since I am building another one of Ian's creations that I believe use one of the same inductors VTB9042. I'm building the helios69. These inductors end up costing quite a bit between currency conversion and shipping. I was considering winding my own by hand using RM8 400aL as I can't see myself dropping over $100 on 4 inductors for a stereo set. I am getting the Epcos core and bobbin from mouser and was considering buying an inexpensive $35 hand winder from eBay.

Sorry to clog this thread but...

It seems that the thread on black market (or was it on white market?) where Prescott sold his custom inductors just got deleted.

I don't know if anyone got their inductors, but after a year I for sure didn't receive mine. Even though he even took photos of finished inductors!

I'd like to get in touch with Prescott and ask what's going on.
His PM inbox is (of course) full...
So my question is - does anyone have Prescott's email?

:(

Luka

shot said:
Sorry to clog this thread but...

It seems that the thread on black market (or was it on white market?) where Prescott sold his custom inductors just got deleted.

I don't know if anyone got their inductors, but after a year I for sure didn't receive mine. Even though he even took photos of finished inductors!

I'd like to get in touch with Prescott and ask what's going on.
His PM inbox is (of course) full...
So my question is - does anyone have Prescott's email?

:(

Luka

I received mine(I was first on the list). However I have been too busy to install them! Here are the 2 email addresses  I have for Peter. It seemed during the course of the year the thread would disappear for periods of time, not sure why.

[email protected]
[email protected]

I hope at the end of the day Peter can make good on this.

Hi Luka, I will sent you a PM with Peter's email address. I am really angry about him now. He told me several times last year that he will sent me the inductors next week! I do not trust him anymore. It is up to him to fix this mess instantly! :mad:

Edit: Humner was faster. The white market thread disappears because the seller has to pay for it.

Thanks guys
I've just emailed him... let's see...

I'll open a new thread here if nothing happens.
But let's just not spam Ian's thread with this anymore

:)

L

Hi!

I'm here. I'd like to correct my unfair mistake. Please send me information about paid but not arrived inductors, and I will pay back the money if someone still left. [email protected]

Sorry, different life situation, but I'd like to fix it.

Peter

Back