Ok, you've built it......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenGiles

Tell me, some of you chaps seem to build a lot of stuff here, so how does this go down with wives and girlfriends? Do they carry on with their knitting and cake making (as they should) or do they moan at the amount of time you devote to it??????

That's interesting - and I'm curious to the reactions.

I guess it helps to tell that they're your most valuable & #1 piece of equipment (no tongues in cheek here).

And let's face it, there are a lot of people out there who would love to be addicted to some kind of hobby/thing/whatever and to have interests that go further than watching TV, read the newspaper, going on holiday and walk the dog.
Nothing wrong with that, but to have interests approaching addiction sounds a lot better I guess... :wink: Our significant others should appreciate that.
The big :?: is of course to which extend all these pretty addictions are the more interesting option - and I'm afraid that brings us back to square one :? :wink:

Peter

What I want to know is...who has a girl friend/wife who techs WITH you.

"WOW honey where did you score those A-24's?"

or

"Hey, lets stay in tonight and solder up those G9 boards..."

:shock:

Heck, try a wife, two kids, a mortgage, a full-time job, playing gigs part time plus trying to practice regularly so I don?t lose all my chops, staying active at my church, finishing my un-finished basement, and regular household chores on top of that.

Needless to say, I?m way behind on my DIY.

My wife appreciates my DIY. You have to put it all in perspective for them. "Honey, this would have cost me $1600, but I built it myself for only $500!". Of course my wife gets excited about good deals just because they are good deals.

Cool Bluebird. But could you imagine the arguments if your wife was an audio DIYer?

"Hey Bob, you look down today, what's up?"
"Well Jake, it's Nancy, I'm in the dog house again."
"Why?"
"It's the same old argument"
"Oh no, not the..."
"Yes, that one, Vari-mu vs. Opto compressors, she thinks her vari-mu compressors are superior to my opto design, the be-atch, if only I could make her see how wrong she is!"
"Jeeze Bob, and I thought she was the perfect match for you, hell, she designed and built her own 24 channel all tube console"
"Yeah, but did you see how her eyes lit up when she was talking to Sam at the party last night about the Fairchild 670?, I bet they are soldering together behind my back!".
"May I make a suggestion Bob?"
"Sure Jake, fire away"
"Present to her a NOS VF14 in a jewelry box for her U47 project, that should make her giddy with happyness, you might get back in good graces with her then."

Kelley

My girlfriend is a jeweller, she always complains when I have nicked some of her expensive tongs.

We have studio and workshop in the same building, so no complains about spending too much time.... Yeah!

Any plans to start a DIY girl project.
Hardcore: from top to buttom. :green:
Shouldn't be that difficult, some folks here make their own mic capsules.

I prefer black halfshort haircut, but there should be options left for differnent tastes.So keep that in mind before you start the layout.

[quote author="Flatpicker"]Heck, try a wife, two kids, a mortgage, a full-time job, playing gigs part time plus trying to practice regularly so I don?t lose all my chops, staying active at my church, finishing my un-finished basement, and regular household chores on top of that.
[/quote]

It's all a matter of priorities. Do the things you need to do.

From here, I've a wife, three kids(all under the age of 5), day job, home remodel, consulting business, a recording studio I built myself, songwriting, and diy.

I've been building equipment for 6 months, and have a tube mic, a dual tube mic pre, a quad jensen pre, a pair of g1176 twins, and a 12 channel passive summing network.

I have more projects in the works than I can shake a stick at =). How have I worked it out so that my wife doesn't strangle me?

I trade diy and music for sleep. Sleep is over rated anyway. I only work on diy or the studio after I've got my kids to sleep, so that's typically 8:30 pm until I hit the...looks at clock... thinks "Damn, I've gotta catch a couple hours sleep before I go to work tomorrow" point.

I wouldn't trade my life for anything? No way. In a lot of ways, I'm the luckiest person on the planet.

ju

Fum, I'm the same boat :)

Plus it is 7pm, Sunday, and I'm here at office doing some extra hours. I'll leave at 6am I guess, thanks to autorouting :)

Try to have you coffee strong! :)

cheers!
Fabio

The La2a is still going strong, i'd just do with a sheet metal bending machine, a sheet metal cutting machine and an entire rack of hole punches and a mig welder that will weld aluminium to do the corners of the amp chassis's i'm building. I'll stick with the kitchen table for now! The females don't know what they're missing. Hey once i get an idea in my head i don't stop until its finished (most of the time anyway)
Vikki(uk) :grin:

" The females don't know what they're missing. Hey once i get an idea in my head i don't stop until its finished (most of the time anyway)
Vikki(uk) "

She is a girl, she plays music, she builds studio equipment.
I think she is perfect. :cool:

chrissugar

Well,

I suppose I'm very lucky in that my partner knows a bit of electronics and plays bass! So one of our first projects together was a bass fuzz pedal. Plus she helps when I've got a lot of soldering to do- PCB's, patchbays, leads etc. And she's an artist so has a great eye for detail- "hmm, that layouts not so good", "try this colour paint". She's also done PCB layouts by hand! So she's totally cool with the DIY chaos that is constantly about the house- half built/being restored audio gear Vs. canvases and pictures Vs. guitars and studio gear :cool: :grin:

Vikki,

I picked up this Metal Folder from Mchine Mart a few years ago for £40. Here's a good tip with machine mart- go and buy a small tool next time you need a spanner/screwdriver etc. When you buy it, make sure you give them your name and address and asked to be put on the mailing list. Then, every six months you get an invite to a VAT Free Day! These are looked forward to like Christmas in our house :wink:

Mark

I am thinking of getting into DIY because I work away during the week and stay in hotels
At the weekend three kids a missus and various taxi and keep the kids and missus amused jobs (not really jobs cos I love them) keep me way to busy

I figured I could take this up for those boring nights in hotel rooms - I haven't thought about solder and the smoke detectors though

Back