saving svg as...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocinante

I have spent hours intermittently over the past couple of days trying to export an  svg from FPD then importing it into various programs I.e. corel, Inkscape,  scribe, but they all come out with the text and scales blurry. If I open the svg in chrome or mozilla its sharp and perfect.  Any ideas? Mozilla wont let me save as?  I used to be able to save it as a jpeg then convert it through CS5 into pdf. Im about to throw mozilla out the window.  Oh if I only could... sigh.

I always export as an auto cad file (dxf) and edit it in my favourite vector program called blender
Svg does not work for me either

I contacted Schaeffer about this problem a few weeks ago. Here's my question and their reply:

http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/support/forum/?no_cache=1&tx_wecdiscussion%5Bsingle%5D=3253

It seems many graphics programs do not support the latest version of the svg spec but the browser renderers do. I use Inkscape for vector drawing and that does not support it. Libre Office which I use for documentation will import svg files but does not support the latest spec (I have raised this as a bug).

Cheers

IAn

ruffrecords said:
I contacted Schaeffer about this problem a few weeks ago. Here's my question and their reply:

http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/support/forum/?no_cache=1&tx_wecdiscussion%5Bsingle%5D=3253

It seems many graphics programs do not support the latest version of the svg spec but the browser renderers do. I use Inkscape for vector drawing and that does not support it. Libre Office which I use for documentation will import svg files but does not support the latest spec (I have raised this as a bug).

Cheers

IAn

Bummer..  Even corel was getting the blurred vectors.  Ive tried analyzing the svg code as seen by chrome and mozilla trying to compare it to other svg files and although there were differences im not knowledgeable enough to understand them so thus can't'fix' them.
I'm trying a new vinyl plated front panel (for my D-PM-EQP2A mind you) and I really want it to work. I had read on here that trophy shops sometimes do front plates for pretty cheap so after contacting more than a few places finally found one and vinyl seemed the best solution.  To at least try.  Im gonna try doing the vinyl over plate then onto the front panel.  Kinda like how manley does it or UA with the 2-1176 or la-610. Im right now carefully going over the svg file in Inkscape and taking out and replacing every single text with inkscapes text (you can edit hpgl in inkscape for what its worth to anyone). That'll be okay for this one project but I have 6 front panels I need done.  There's gotta be a better solution.

Here is the detailed reply I got from a software guy at Schaeffer. It includes details of how to manually edit the fpd files so they should work on ordinary programs:

Hello Ian Bell,

I think the program in which you open the SVG does not support the "vector-effect=non-scaling-stroke"-Property. Which Program do you use to display the SVG? For me it works correctly in current versions of Firefox and Google Chrome. My IE11 gives "fat lines" with vector-effect.

If that is your problem you could try to remove this property in the svg file directly for every element. In addition you have to remove the unit-appendix for the stroke-width.

Example:

<path d="M12.757 15.637 L12.757 12.217"
fill="none" vector-effect="non-scaling-stroke" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="0.200mm" fpd:engraving_ral_9005="1" />

becomes to:

<path d="M12.757 15.637 L12.757 12.217"
fill="none" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="0.200" fpd:engraving_ral_9005="1" />

Maybe Search&Replace of your favourite text editor turns out helpful.

Another option is of course to use a newer program with better SVG support.

This is also what older versions of FPD generated.

This should work fine in most cases. One case where this causes trouble is if you use X-Scaling in your engravings. Due to that we needed to use the vector-effect property and unfortunately some (older) programs do not support that correctly.

Is this helpful for you?

Sincerely,

--
Sven Gaul                      Schaeffer AG
Cheers

Ian

I edited an svg file by hand and I am pleased to say it works. I'll post a before and after - I would have done it right away but the server will not accept .svg files.

Ethan????? Can you add .svg files as allowed for attachments please?

Cheers

Ian

Not so coincidentally so did I.  I actually went through and meticulously went over every text and scale line via Inkscape.  The front panel holes are already cut since I planned on doing it on plates so it actually Has to be on.  Anyways I now can convert it to whatever.  Here's an example in PNG format.
NLH51rEl.png

I am still working on playing with that code but so far my efforts have been futile. 
I am currently trying to figure out how to make the whole thing one hpgl to use in FPE.  That would certainly cut down in cost.  Unfortunately the trophy shop has a set up charge and with that and the actual prints on vinyl or more preferably two metal pieces it would cost nearly the same as FPE.  So I am barely saving anything. ;( .  At the very least now I have some easy to get to designs and know how to convert them.  I also want to do the same; plate over the front panel- for an 1u in height 1176 that I just finished.
Does anyone know how thick the plates are when they put them on front panels?  Like the 2-1176 or Manley stuff? 
*Never mind, They cut a large rectangle out of the front panel and are only drilling holes through the plate.  Duh.

What I do not understand is why Schaeffer decided to change it. The SVG output  from FPD is really only for printing to paper or including in docs and that worked fine before they changed the coding. As far as I can make out it is only the browsers that have caught up with the spec. Every graphics app or word processor that imports SVG files fails to render them properly. Even modern on line apps like Pixlr fail to render it.

Cheers

Ian

I had thought it was a hog wash reply honestly. Corel draw, the whole adobe cs6 suite and a half dozen other programs all havent caught up??  I'd venture to guess otherwise.
We're just to many people really using fpd for third party applications?
Fortunately Frank is still talented. Unfortunately (for me) he's a big body of water away.

Latest posts

Back