Wiring a 3-prong plug

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikko

I know this is really basic, but for some reason I can't seem to find the answer through a Google search. I'm building some short power cables to clean up my racks by just cutting off standard cables to the desired length, keeping the female connector on the cable, and wiring a new male end on.

I've figured out that the brown wire is hot, blue is neutral and green/yellow is ground, but my question is about the plug. It's obvious which prong is ground, but which is hot and which is neutral? Looking at the plug head on, with the prongs pointing towards me and the ground prong at 6:00, do I hook the hot (brown) wire to the left blade or the right blade?

A lot of Edison plugs also have a gold/brass screw for the hot terminal, and a silver screw for the neutral.

hope this helps

ju

By the way Nikko, Bill was talking about looking at the socket. -You asked about looking at the plug I think, in which case the reverse is true. (Never having been to Canada, this is based ont eh assumption that we share the same power connectors, which seems reasonable since everything I've ever bought from Canada has had the samw power connectors on it!)

The Neutral is the taller pin on those plugs/sockets which are Polarised.

Keith

Back