CAD for the Machine Shop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm looking for 3D CAD software to design mechanical parts. I have a couple of ideas for things to be sold. I don't want to make the parts, even if i could. I can't afford and probably don't need anything like Solidworks or AutoCAD.

I have no experience with any type of vector program so something that isn't too deep but is full featured (whatever that means) would be best. I'd prefer it to be OS X .  Taking a brief look around TurboCAD looks good.

Sketchup is excellent for putting together designs but it doesn't output DXF unless you have the Pro version. If you can afford Pro, you might be also looking at other CAD packages

OSX versions, natch

Nick Froome

Look at Rhino. They have Mac version under development. The student/faculty version (if it applies to you) is only $195:

https://www.rhino3d.com/

You could also easily find somebody very proficient in Solidworks/AutoCAD/etc., who would have a program and for some $25-$40 an hour could make solids for you. Most of the drawings do not take more than an hour or two for a pro. This is by far cheaper if you don't have too many projects, or just out of curiosity would like to learn damn thing...

Best, M

Marik said:
Look at Rhino. They have Mac version under development.

The Mac version is free while it's under development. I just downloaded it.  A  Rhino license  for Windows is $1K.  It would be great to use something like that. I know it  integrates with CAM software easily. I ran across it when looking at engraving software.

On one hand it is a top of the line kind of thing and has everything I could ever need. On the other hand I won't be too keen to pay 1K when it comes out of development.

I want to learn the software myself. I think I will have uses for it.

I used turbo-CAD for a fairly large injection molded part I designed several years ago. I had some minor translation problems between output file formats. The vendor in China who machined the tool base used different software so there were some worrisome artifacts in the renderings going back and forth, but the parts turned out OK.

I am not a huge fan of turbo cad but it was relatively cheap and worked.

JR 

Last night looked at tutorials for both Rhino and TurboCAD. Rhino looks a lot better to me. I found the layout was more intuitive and displayed more information. The way the help menus are integrated into the main page is nice too.

I called Rhino and asked if the eventual pricing would be the same as the windows version. They said probably not and to watch my email for special offers.  It seems like a good time to get in on the ground floor.

I own both PC and mac versions of turbo-cad..  In my judgement they are dramatically different user interfaces.

It looks to me like one or both were existing programs that they just ported to the PC or MAC platform...

I learned on and did all my work on the PC platform. I never bothered to relearn how to use the mac version,

JR

Hi,

I personally like AutoDesk Fusion 360 - cloud based 3D CAD. It may have bit of a learning curve for someone CAD professional, as it's logic is different from AutoCAD / SolidWorks / Catia and similar. There's no Real Origo. Check the Tutorials.

It'll need robust computer though - Windows 7 or recent Mac. But it has built in interpreter for CNC machining and not least - it's pretty cheap, monthly subscription based pricing plan for Small Businesses like mine and I think it was free for 1st year for hobbyists.

There's plethora of file formats you can export to, including STL for 3D printers, DWG, Step and DXF.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

For quick and dirty 2D CAD efforts, like drawing some fast dimensions, I use AutoDesk AutoCAD 360 . https://www.autocad360.com/ . It's almost a toy, really. Simple, very limited - but easy sketch takes like 10 minutes to make and it exports all needed formats. And it's Free.

I think Blender is now able to import/export DXF
A nice opens source soft for DIY guy !
Best
Zam

I've used DesignCAD for (yikes!) 25+ years, going waaaay back to DOS versions.  The newer versions have 3D features (which I've only played with).  All my work is 2D....mechanical drawings for sheet metal, wiring flow charts,  floor plans, etc.

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCAD?gclid=CjwKEAjwjd2pBRDB4o_ymcieoAQSJABm4egoSpqaWrqoebMIDJSFzsh7HblbfFSGew6YK3heyB--pRoCoTTw_wcB

Bri

I tried Rhino a good while ago. I was more interested in the CAM gcode generation. Seemed ok.
I have autocad and solidworks...use autocad for most things. Have several different CAM programs.

Les

spintonik said:
I personally like AutoDesk Fusion 360 - cloud based 3D CAD. It may have bit of a learning curve for someone CAD professional, as it's logic is different from AutoCAD / SolidWorks / Catia and similar. There's no Real Origo. Check the Tutorials.

For a short time a couple of years ago, Autodesk put a free version of Inventor Fusion in the Apple Mac App Store. So I downloaded it, played with it for a bit, and promptly forgot about it.

Then I got the crazy idea that all of my parts in my Kicad library needed 3D models, so I started to make a model of a character LCD. And it was not all that difficult. Now I have no idea whether I can use this program to design something that can actually be fabbed.

While doing that little thing, I looked on the Autodesk web site for help, and I realized that the version I had was deprecated. The regular version was not expensive, but I figured that the free version I was using would be fine unless I got into something more difficult.

I use QCad for 2D models.

-a

I looked at AutoDeskFusion360. I liked the way it worked. I found it pretty intuitive. I don't think a subscription model would work for me because I would only be using it occasionally.

I think for the project I have in mind I will take Marik's advice and find a CAD operator to make the drawings. I can see I have a long road ahead of me before I feel comfortable with Rhino.

Try OnShape . It is in its beta version . Developed by ex Solidworks guys and professional CAD  folks will feel at home . Try getting a beta version .. if you are not able to please send me a PM and I'll send you an invite

Latest posts

Back