Abbey Road Video

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's definitely pretty cool, even get to twiddle with the J37!  I know this is an old post, but I found the site tonight, and then was gonna post it, but did a search first.  Couldn't find anything on it with several tries, decided to search the link, and found this post.  Now if they could just make the virtual smell of the place, it'd be even more lifelike!! :D

Fun! Thanks for pointing it out...I might spend more time there later just looking around. But, the abbey road mixes were brutal!? Seriously? My first balance that took a bit, sounded great compared to their crappy mixes. :)  8)

It gave my mix a 73! ...and said keep on trying! Ha!

ruffrecords said:
Oh for a room the size of studio 2.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah, wouldn't that be something?  I actually came across that site while looking for info on the studio 2 control room dimensions, to compare to the one I'm designing.  Not necessarily to copy it, but from what the pictures show, the original seemed rather small, which is what I'm dealing with, so figured it might help to compare notes!

Evidently, regarding the hanging drapes: "Originally, they were made from parachute silk and stuffed with dried Nova Scotian seaweed! ", according to this site:

http://www.musictech.net/2017/09/abbey-road-access-all-areas/

That echo chamber is just fascinating, though.  Definitely unique, at least the pipe/column thing.  As it also says on that site the rest of the room is  " a tiled cell, resembling, if we’re honest, a toilet without the ‘facilities’."  Lol. 

From a musician's point of view, I'm not sure what to think.  I guess it would be like recording live on stage somewhere, without the audience.  Since the control room is so far away, you'd probably forget you were recording, maybe relax a little more?  From the recording side, first thing I think of is those are some long cable runs! 

I am sure I read somewhere that they had occasional damp problems in the cho chamber.  Not good for condender microphones.

The thing that surprised me was the only speakers I could see in the mastering suite was a pair of NS10s.

Cheers

Ian

Yes,that's what I have read, too; in fact, it can get so damp it changes the sound of the room.  I read that's why they have a heater on the wall.  That's a good point about the condenser mics.  Hmmm, I'll have to look again, now that ya mention it, I didn't notice the speakers.  I also read somewhere they don't wax the floor, because it would affect the room, acoustically. 

Latest posts

Back