PLEASE bring back the Peerless S217d!!! CJ?? Anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainton

It's unbelievable!

The peerless S-217d seems to be one of the most sought after tranny's out there and the more I try to find out about the Pultec EQP1-A and its sound the more it dawns on me that without at least the input and output trannies I won't be able to recreate that certain sound.
And if people sell them on evil bay they want an arm and a leg for it!!

I read that one can't get the original lams anymore but then on the other hand I heard that it might still be possible to get very close to the original piece.

We have to find a way  to bring this transformer back - I mean people are paying almost a grand for a used one by now  - which is friggin ridiculous, but it shows there has to be a market for it!

The guys with pulse techniques  making the reissues claim to have copied the original but they most likely won't sell them separately  :p

So what's up, can we start a feeler and together with our extraordinary transformer special force on here (CJ, ioaudio,etc...)  we find a way to bring it back to life?!
At least something that is very close?

I just don't want to give up just now and settle with sowters...
...building a real Pultec true to the original in almost every aspect wouldn't actually be too big of a deal doing it p2p and all that - especially now that CP with vintage-windings offers original style filter units as a replacement for original units...

I know this was posted a while ago but I'm in a similar predicament right now. I have a brand new in the box HS-29 interstage tx and sourcing the HS-56 doesn't seem to hard to source at least. It's just getting the right output transformer that seems the issue. i've read somewhere the cost to replicate them exactly may be difficult because the parts required have high minimum orders. It really is a shame, it's such a classic design. 1k for any transformer is ridiculous!

orangechili said:
I know this was posted a while ago but I'm in a similar predicament right now. I have a brand new in the box HS-29 interstage tx and sourcing the HS-56 doesn't seem to hard to source at least. It's just getting the right output transformer that seems the issue. i've read somewhere the cost to replicate them exactly may be difficult because the parts required have high minimum orders. It really is a shame, it's such a classic design. 1k for any transformer is ridiculous!

That's why I asked ;)

We could start a group collecting at least 50 to 100 requests for this tranny and send it to Magnetek - they did a replica in the past.
It was still not cheap but even 400$ is a lot less than 1000$!!
And if we can gather 50 people that's quite some money - even for Magnetek ;)

What you think?

I think it's worth trying! I'm in if we can get drum up enough requests. I don't know who does the current xformers for the new pulse technologies, maybe they can help too? It would be very nice to have a DIY option for these.

Cinemag do a replica of it. You could ask David for the exact model and price. Can' speak about the sound, but I know he needed special tooling to made them.

Deepdark said:
Cinemag do a replica of it. You could ask David for the exact model and price. Can' speak about the sound, but I know he needed special tooling to made them.

Would be interesting to know. Didn't know they make a replica.
When I started this thread I was looking for a drop in replacement of the S217D for my true-to-the-original Pultec EQP1-A replica I finished recently

o91o55.jpg

After not finding such a replacement - and my call for help being unheard at that time ;) I settled with a Sowter for the time being.

24ch5l2.jpg

But since I used original components only throughout the entire build (except the OT) I'm still in for going the extra mile :)

BTW I meant "Magnequest" not Magnetek in my post above!
Magnequest owns all original Peerless docs and even some remaining stock of the original lams CJ wrote somewhere on here if I remember correctly.  So we should gather everybody who's interested and send them a request... 8)

EDIT: I read that Magnequest charged 300$ ea for their S217-D replica when they did a run some years ago.

Happy new year guys!

I got in touch with David and Deepdark is right - there's a Peerless S-217D replica and it seems he spent a lot of money and time
to get it right. Meaning they replicated everything true to the original except for the potting material and varnish.
The outside dimensions are slightly different, but not much. You'd probably only realize it if you put it next to the real thing.
And another difference is that it has lead wires instead of a terminal board, and the spacing between the mounting studs is different.
The price is $220 ea. and if I buy more than 11 pieces it will go down to $180 ea.
I smell a group buy here  8)

Do it! I bet we could get even more than 11. Me alone would take two. Do you think we could get another price drop if we get more than 20? 

Happy new year to you too!

also interested in 2, but isn't CJ winding one at the moment ?

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61310.0

maybe a cheaper alternative

The iron is usually the most important component in a tube amplifier.  The $220 price isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.  A price I'd gladly pay..  I have the rest of the Pultec iron.  Just waiting.

What problem do people have with the Sowters?  I haven't compared the Sowter directly to the Peerless but I did spend some time comparing my Pultec build w/ Sowter OT vs an original Pultec and, at the end of the day I preferred mine on the majority of sources I compared them on.  I truly did not expect that and didn't even want to admit it at first.  Granted, there are a number of differences that contributed to the final product but if I can make something that I like better than an original Pultec, using Sowter as one of the components, then the Sowter is good enough for me.

If someone has compared audio through them and preferred the Peerless I totally respect that but I sometimes think we get so caught up in lusting after the unobtainable that we forget what these machines are for in the first place.  I'm always up for trying a new 217 if someone makes one but I don't think we are without a great option right now.

Bowie said:
What problem do people have with the Sowters?  I haven't compared the Sowter directly to the Peerless but I did spend some time comparing my Pultec build w/ Sowter OT vs an original Pultec and, at the end of the day I preferred mine on the majority of sources I compared them on.  I truly did not expect that and didn't even want to admit it at first.  Granted, there are a number of differences that contributed to the final product but if I can make something that I like better than an original Pultec, using Sowter as one of the components, then the Sowter is good enough for me.

If someone has compared audio through them and preferred the Peerless I totally respect that but I sometimes think we get so caught up in lusting after the unobtainable that we forget what these machines are for in the first place.  I'm always up for trying a new 217 if someone makes one but I don't think we are without a great option right now.

You're absolutely right, the Sowter trannys are very good!
But they're not cheap either. In Germany the Sowter OT for the Pultec is about 130 Euros incl. shipping.
The cinemag will be 180$ if we buy more than 11 of them - which is 160 Euros.

So that's not that much of a difference for having an OT that is 100% true the original in terms of core material, lams etc.

I've used Sowter on several occasions - LA2As and Pultecs - even with my Pultec that has all original components except the Sowter OT (for now)
At least for the LA2A I always preferred the ones with vintage UTC trannys. Like I said the Sowters are great but where always a little too much on the clean side for my taste (for that particular application)

Anyway I'm really just curious and want to find out what I like better (and why) for myself - and the new Cinemag S217D makes it possible :)

rainton said:
You're absolutely right, the Sowter trannys are very good!
But they're not cheap either. In Germany the Sowter OT for the Pultec is about 130 Euros incl. shipping.
The cinemag will be 180$ if we buy more than 11 of them - which is 160 Euros.

So that's not that much of a difference for having an OT that is 100% true the original in terms of core material, lams etc.

I've used Sowter on several occasions - LA2As and Pultecs - even with my Pultec that has all original components except the Sowter OT (for now)
At least for the LA2A I always preferred the ones with vintage UTC trannys. Like I said the Sowters are great but where always a little too much on the clean side for my taste (for that particular application)

Anyway I'm really just curious and want to find out what I like better (and why) for myself - and the new Cinemag S217D makes it possible :)
I agree with much of that.  In most situations I find myself preferring UTCs (I even use UTC A20/108 in Pultec instead of Triad HS56).  There's also been a few times when I love the Sowters (their V72 xformers).  I was just wondering if someone had a specific issue with the Sowter replacement for the 217 and what it was.  It would surprise me because it's one of their pieces that I've been quite happy with.

Yes but their V72 transformers are really special - they share the exact same impedances as the original and the same frequ. response.
The Pultec and LA2A replacement trannys are all similar to the original with "extended frequ. response" and sometimes completely different impedance values compared to the original.

I would love to see them doing more trannys like their V72 replacements - without "extended frequ. response" etc. ;)

Ok guys,

I'm setting up a group buy for a true-to-the original Pultec EQP1-A chassis I designed for which I hope to have the last numbers after the weekend. This chassis will be available with original-style filter unit enclosures (optional) and original daka-ware knobs (optional).
And even though I figured that is better to open two separate threads for the chassis group buy and the CM-S217D group buy I wanted to connect them so people who stumble over one of the threads find the other one as well ;)

So I will open up a group buy thread for the CM-S217D by the end of the week and I hope it's ok I add all of those who showed interest here to the list?

I'll let you know anyway ;)

Back