Quiet (silent) computer monitor display

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

I do a lot of recording of myself, and I have a little rig set up in my live room with monitor (display), mouse keyboard, etc...  It works well, but there is a small amount of noise from the monitor.  The one I have been using is borrowed and I'll need to purchase one soon.  Does anyone have any advice for a near silent display?

What kind of noise? The high pitched you barely hear but drives you nuts?

Maybe a monitor with external supply so you can get it as far as you want, the noise usually comes from an inductor in there. Still, if this is not the case I still go for one like that, is much more serviceable.

JS

They often start to buzz at high freq after a lengthy period of service.

It's a sign of the need to get another one, and use the noisy one in a less demanding environment - like the file server  :)

I use samsung monitors and have been buzz free for around 6 years so far. My older, monitors have developed the hum after 10 years or so.

Thanks for the replys... It's that high freq buzz... I have an acer in my tracking room now, it's not a practical prob for most things, but still annoying...  I'll check out the Samsung stuff.

Good thought on an external psu, but I havent seen a monitor with one of those in quite a while... ill have to do some googling...

There are two things on external PSU, they only have one rail, so they are more easy to repair, and if that's not possible you only need to find a PSU to fit that rail, not 5 different as in many internal PSU. Of course the monitor will have DC-DC converters inside, but they are usually more reliable, not facing transient from a power transformer being unplugged next to it or things like that.

I thought is more common every day to have external PSU for monitors and even TVs, I always try to make that choice, it's annoying to have the external PSU instead of an interlock or 8 wire straight to the monitor but I think it pays off. I don't really know about it as a noise source but just an idea. I have an LG monitor I bought one year ago, external PSU, still I don't really like it and I think next time I'll go for a different brand I do like the external PSU.

Good luck with that and I hope you find the solution. I've seen topics around about gammers complaining about whinny graphic cards, solved with some glue on the inductors.

JS

Latest posts

Back