modifying a solid state pultec eqp-1a3 to tube......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdy finn

I was thinking about modifing a solid state eqp-1a3 to tube. i was curious about the following info.
1. how hard would it be (if even possible)
2. is it worth it.
3. are the parts available.
4. about how much would it cost.

any info would be greatly apreciated.
thanks,
chris

Is that the one with the API opamp in it?
I don't know, thats kind of a rare classic if it is, and it probably dosen't sound that bad.
Pulltecs are really just a good sounding line amp, I doubt people even turn up the eq knobs that much.

Why not start from scratch and build a tube Pultec?
Cost? Depends on the iron. Vintage Triad/Peerless would cost a fortune, Sowter makes all three x-formers and they sound great. Probably cost ya around $250 for the iron. Tubes would be about $20. You will need a new pwr x-former for the higher B+ voltage and heater supply, another $20 bucks.
Tube sockets, maybe a choke for the pwr supply, so were up to about $300 bucks so far, without all the caps, inductors and switches. Figur another hundrerad for all that.
So, 300 for the mod, and 400 plus chassis/hardware to build a new one.

Subtract any parts you already have.

Like CJ said . . . .

EQP31a3 with API 2520 make-up sounds great in my experience! I used a pair at a studio I sometimes worked at a few years ago. Although they sound different, they are so obviously from the same stable. I'd leave well alone, and build a tube one from scratch. not a lot more effort, and then you'd have TWO gorgeous, passive eq's! :green: :green: :green:

[quote author="CJ"]
Pulltecs are really just a good sounding line amp, I doubt people even turn up the eq knobs that much.
[/quote]

hey CJ, are you serious? :green:
the knobs are turned alot here :)....no production without silky pultec topend. :thumb:

2. is it worth it.

Probably not...I would say if you want a tube pultec, sell that one and buy a tube one(or build it).
Personally, I actually prefer the API ones to the tube ones. But I'm weird.

I doubt people even turn up the eq knobs that much.

Man, I'm surprised the cops haven't hauled me off for abusing 60 cycles on a pultec. It's the magic knob!

Zach

hey guys,
thanks for the reply. the ones i have have the API op-amp on them. I was just curious about the mod. because i was thinking of selling them, and i thought i'd be able to get more for them if they were tube. thanks for the great advice. i'll probably end up just keeping them the way they are. sounds like some people like them as they are. let me know know if any of you guys are interested in trading for a consecutive pair.
thanks for the advice,
chris

you will not get more for ripping apart something that is "vintagely defined" as solid state and converting it to tube, if anything you'll be destroying the retail value of the unit. Neve made tube consoles. Whats a tube modified 1073 worth? not much in my book...

try to sell your unit (ebay will yield good results if you advertise it right) and then buy an old tube one, build one (lots of info here) or hang out a few months, there might be something new and fiendworthy coming out...

dave

Latest posts

Back