rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hymentoptera said:
If I understand correctly, this chassis would be too small for any PCB version, right? Might be an excuse to get into P2P?

You're right,
It's too small for the pcb version
Strictly p2p 
But it's totally worth it and actually more fun!
Counting 14 people altogether now so we probably could reach 20 within a week...

When everything goes as planned, the front panel will be silkscreened.
If not it will be engraved. So all labels etc. will be there.

As for the logo I can't offer to print it on there because it's owned by Universal Audio I think and if I did it,  it could cause me serious trouble!

Or is there an attorney around how knows how to deal with it? I mean we're not producing those enclosures on a big scale for the public market, but only for us...

BTW:
here are the latest screenshots from the CAD - we're actually ready to proceed.
Should I start a poll for which VU-meter cutout to choose? Beede or Sifam?

k96w78.png

xc6btx.png

Okay, if we hit 18 people then I'm in for two to make it 20, and it looks like we should have no trouble doing that. So put me down for 1 x and a possible 1 more (2 total) before this ends.

Maybe extend it another week if everyone's okay with that? If it means getting enough participants.

For now, count me as just +1.. And I would prefer the Sifam because Kulka's replacement meter looks dope!

Great looking enclosure

I have been collecting parts for my LA2A build for a few years now and i would be using A10 and A24

Im in for two enclosures

More than likely the Pultec as well when done

Craig

rainton said:
As for the logo I can't offer to print it on there because it's owned by Universal Audio I think and if I did it,  it could cause me serious trouble!

Or is there an attorney around how knows how to deal with it? I mean we're not producing those enclosures on a big scale for the public market, but only for us...
I have a case built by Tat Purusha and it has the logo on it. Kinda like that; as it appears more original. Would love mine to have it, promise I won't show anyone ;)
I prefer the Sifam also.
Thanks
Neil

Quayhog said:
Your question about the meter.  I like the look of the rectangular Sifam over the round Beede.

FYI the Beede meter is not round - the meter in the vintage original was a Beede. Mine has also the Beede in it.
But yes I think the Sifam makes more sense...

Too bad about the logo, especially on a short DIY run.  It might be fun to come up with a similar style logo that is a near miss of the original.  There are only going to be twenty or so of these made.

Any idea when cash is needed? PayPal? How long to produce and ship?

I like the idea of Quayhog, modify the logo if it's a concern. But it's not like you're selling these, you're simply helping out a few friends with their metal work, and not making profit.

Are those Allen-Bradley resistors you used?
In the process of building a drip opto4, and was afraid of too much noise with nos carbon resistors so opted for Amtrams ,  kiwame, and prp resistors.

Thanks
Neil

Bring the noise!

If someone offered me either a clean modern handmade copy of a classic piece of kit with precision componants all around, or an original unit with aging period parts, I'd pick the original every time!

I've spent enough on some DIY gears' parts from just sourcing the correct old bits that I could have almost bought the real thing  :eek: The definition of insanity?  :-X

You can't legally print the logo.  You might get away with it, especially from eastern Europe as Tat has.  Remember he got kicked out of this place for doing that sort of thing.  It's all about whether you are willing to risk UA coming after you, or whether they decide to make an example of you. 

I suggest providing a few blanking plates that have matching powder coating with each chassis purchase.  This would allow the DIYer to have transformer choice options.  I don't yet possess the HA-100x input transformer but I do have input transformers that would meet and possibly exceed the specs of the original.

I was toying with the idea  of using an octal socket, there are lots of transformer choices with that format.

Jonathan Horne
[email protected]

Hey Martin, i just noticed Keith mentioned earlier that the sifam replacement Meter could eventually collide with the turret Board. Did you check that already?

weiss

SSLtech said:
Not everyone wants to use UTC transformers, and not everyone wants to use those... -not everyone can find or AFFORD them! In the BLOO version this was addressed by making separate 'adaptor plates' for each transformer type. -This is technically possible again, but I wonder if people will want to go to the extra expense...

In addition, the front panel METER is another problem. The original meter was a Beede, but they no longer supply in quantities under a thousand (at over $100 each, that's a $100,000 investment which I know we can't make!) -The best meter that you can easily get is a Sifam, but the Sifam which fits the Beede-sized hole is too deep for the inside of the LA-2a body, and collides with the turret board when you shut the front panel. There is a HOYT option, but their meters simply do not read accurately... -Sure, they fit the hole and look alright, but I don't like them

Latest posts

Back