Build Thread:VECA MS (VCA comp)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Majestic12 said:
MB inv and SB inv have to be wire bridges and MR  inv and SR inv 10K resistors if you are using the standard gain resistor table for the sidechain.

Ill put this in the FAQ.

The resistors set the gain for M and S respectively with the fixed resistors put on the 2x6 switch.  I could have omitted the slot that needs to be jumped, but for more experienced builders, it will give more flexibility working with the gain/replacing it with pots etc.

Im sorry if this adds confusion, but as Markus said, for the build using the table I posted, jump xB and use a 10K resistor in xR

Any value put in xB would be added to the values on the switch (or a pot) for gain calculation.

Gustav

Ok Markus and gustav :), for now is all clear. Thank you guys for answer, i'll report back when this comp is finished.

Ericbazaar said:
Ok Markus and gustav :), for now is all clear. Thank you guys for answer, i'll report back when this comp is finished.

Thanks.

Still not a lot of feedback from builders, and if theres nothing else in the errata list, I will probably make up a new board with fixed values etc after the holidays.

Gustav

Hi Gustav!
Do you think the Veca MS is a simple build project or not?
I want one but I don't know if this project is a "mature" project or if is  in progress...
There are some mistake on your build instruction (like switch you're soldering )?
Thanx

kustohm said:
Hi Gustav!
Do you think the Veca MS is a simple build project or not?
I want one but I don't know if this project is a "mature" project or if is  in progress...

I dont know the absolute difficulty, but I dont think its harder than a GssL.

Just remember, there is not much documentation for troubleshooting, if you run into something (yet).

kustohm said:
There are some mistake on your build instruction (like switch you're soldering )?
Thanx

Not sure where the mistake is. Could you be more specific, so I can correct it?

Gustav

you spoke of the switch soldering on ON position... or something like that, I don't find yet the post...

kustohm said:
you spoke of the switch soldering on ON position... or something like that, I don't find yet the post...

I just scanned through the assembly guide, and I can't find any errors other than a few proof reading items (PRE4 assembly guide at the header of one page for example).  Ill change that for v2 eventually, but if you can point at an actual error, I will correct is asap of course. :)

Gustav

Hello everybody,

Im building the Veca MS too. A few parts have been missing in the kit. But no problem so far.
Has anybody recommendation for a rotary power switch?

Best!
Mocke

Mocke said:
Hello everybody,

Im building the Veca MS too. A few parts have been missing in the kit. But no problem so far.
Has anybody recommendation for a rotary power switch?

Best!
Mocke

Hi Mocke.

Please mail me if you are missing parts!

You are getting kits from a larger batch of kits I packed, and any feedback will make sure I can correct the errors in the rest of the batches and get your missing parts out to you.

I use the Lorlin power switch, mentioned in the recommended mounting hardware section/available on my site. I get them at RS-components.

Gustav

Hi Gustav,

VECA assembled and full working, Dry/Wet and MS Blending Function are nice and very useful.
I'll make Pictures and will post later, thanks for this beautiful Compressor.

Can you tell me the right value from Meter Resistor? My feel is 1ma Meter shows wrong DB Compressions value, i use 2k resistor.

Andreas

Ericbazaar said:
Hi Gustav,

VECA assembled and full working, Dry/Wet and MS Blending Function are nice and very useful.
I'll make Pictures and will post later, thanks for this beautiful Compressor.

Can you tell me the right value from Meter Resistor? My feel is 1ma Meter shows wrong DB Compressions value, i use 2k resistor.

Excellent! :)

And sorry, I can't really recommend a different value. A trimmer and a reference would be the way to go if you need meter accuracy.  Since its based on a feeling, it would be good to verify before doing anything at all.

Gustav

Ok Gustav i'll try any Values.
So here a picture from my veca, ok looks a little bit like the german "vertigo sound" compressor and ok i use two meters, shame on me :p
but i like it, i can say again the ms feature is very useful and make this comp flexible as F*** 8)

Attachments

• veca .jpg
    veca .jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
Ericbazaar said:
Ok Gustav i'll try any Values.
So here a picture from my veca, ok looks a little bit like the german "vertigo sound" compressor and ok i use two meters, shame on me :p
but i like it, i can say again the ms feature is very useful and make this comp flexible as F*** 8)

Very nice :)

Two meters on the meter output would mean you are splitting the current between two ammeters, unless I am missing something obvious. This would influence the needed value of the resistor to meter!? (Sorry, I probably am missing something obvious).

Gustav

...that would influence the value of the resistor to meter!?
Gustav

yes two meters influence the resistor! Now i have the right values on the meters and the Veca works like a charme. i use only NOS Phillips NE5534, similiar to the "Signetics" Opamps and 2180A VCA's. ok i dont know how is the effect to the sound, but the comp is absolutely noise free and sound totaly different to my gssl.

Like this Workhorse
Thanks again

Ericbazaar said:
...that would influence the value of the resistor to meter!?
Gustav

yes two meters influence the resistor! Now i have the right values on the meters and the Veca works like a charme. i use only NOS Phillips NE5534, similiar to the "Signetics" Opamps and 2180A VCA's. ok i dont know how is the effect to the sound, but the comp is absolutely noise free and sound totaly different to my gssl.

Like this Workhorse
Thanks again

There were quite a few things changed in the circuit, so it is a different beast. The sound of the "VCA compression type of grab" is unmistakeable, though - at least in my opinion/to my ears.

I am glad you enjoy it. Think you can describe the difference you're hearing without too much mumbo jumbo? (I find this difficult myself).

Gustav

Hi again,

I finished my Veca and everything seems to work correctly. But my VU Meter is confusing me. It shows somehow GR but from left to right and not from the 0db to the left. Can anybody help?
Next thing is the LINK Resistor. What value has it?

Thanks!

Mocke

Mocke said:
Hi again,

I finished my Veca and everything seems to work correctly. But my VU Meter is confusing me. It shows somehow GR but from left to right and not from the 0db to the left. Can anybody help?

Using the VU meter, you will have to open the meter and put in a different scale if you want it to show the "real" value.  Personally, I would live fine with the VU as is, but this is the reason why the panel I put up for the DIY version is cut for a regular DC meter.

https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=106_134

(You should also remove the diode bridge, if you go in to change the scale)

Mocke said:

Thanks!

Mocke

Link is between the audio and supply ground. Put in a 10R...

Gustav

Mocke said:
Hi again,

Thanks!

Mocke

A VU meter isn't really suitable for this built, you'll need a 1mA meter with a correct GR scale to get a correct reading.

Your VU meter will move around  somehow but it's not possible to calibrate it to show 0dB in it's idle position nor to adjust it to show anything useful related to its meter scale.
(Of course you can measure out the GR on the output of you unit at different points and print out a new scale like Gustav already said, but that's not something that I really would recommend)

The link  resistor is just a wire bridge.

I got a mail asking me to notify the sender when revision 5 was ready.

Just to be clear. The revision for sale since august 1 is revision 5.

Gustav

Latest posts

Back