NV73EQ addon

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone.  I'm building a nv73 with eq add-on.  Im just getting to the wiring portion of the nv73.  It appears i will need to test and calibrate the preamp unit before i wire in the eq add-on.  For someone who has built this,  is that correct?  Will i need to wire up the nv73 first to calibrate.  Then remove the wires and wire in the eq?  Thanks.  looking forward to getting these in action.

qmp audio said:
Hello everyone.  I'm building a nv73 with eq add-on.  Im just getting to the wiring portion of the nv73.  It appears i will need to test and calibrate the preamp unit before i wire in the eq add-on.  For someone who has built this,  is that correct?  Will i need to wire up the nv73 first to calibrate.  Then remove the wires and wire in the eq?  Thanks.  looking forward to getting these in action.

The answer is yes

I've built a few of these and did it like this to save some time disassembling/re assembling the pre completely after it's tested and calibrated (copied this from one of my posts at RGO btw):
- Solder the shielded wire (from P to P) on the top side of the main PCB
- Before test/calibration don't use the nuts for the heatsink, just squeeze it in place on top of the 2N3055, works as long as the 2N3055 chassis shorts to the screws. Or you could probably just skip the heatsink for the calib
- After calibration, to be able to reach the screws on the 16->24V PCB, remove the heatsink and then unscrew/remove the 16->24V PCB
- If you have an iron with a pointy tip you should be able to unsolder both wires at P (close to the trim resistor) from the top side of PCB, and then re wire the ends to the eq boards
- Prepare/solder the 24V wire for the eq boards. I chose to squeeze it in the +24V terminal on the green 4 way terminal on the 16->24V board
- Re assemble 16->24V board and heatsink secured with nuts this time
- Proceed with the Don Classics manual

For this to work here are the wire lengths that have worked for me (including stripped ends of approx 3-4mm):
- Shielded cable: 11cm (after calibration could be cut to proper length for rewiring to the eq boards)
- Output pot wires: 6cm minimum for the K wire to reach the eq board after it has been desoldered from P at main board. Not important but the 0V wire could be 0.5-1cm shorter because it's pad is closer to the output pot
- 48V switch wires: 8cm has worked for me

Hi there, I have a couple of questions about this build. I still trying to get the parts and didn't start yet.
I'm trying to get the grayhill switches from somewhere else then AML since they are out of stock and they have no idea when they will receive them.
I'm located in US and I need the preamp 12 way and the 3 EQ. Do somebody have the right code for the switches or the alternative one? on AML there is not code and seems impossible to find them thru pics or description.
Example I have 2 different DIY compressor 500 series. One use 71ADF30-02-2-AJS (1/8" SHAFT), and the other 71ADF30-01-2-AJS, there is just one number difference but both of them are 2x6 and they do and look exactly the same :-\

the preamp switch is a 3 gang... is this code correct for this one: 71BDF30-03-1-AJN I can't find it anywhere

on the CAPI web site I saw they have 1x12 and 2x6... those one can fit this build or I need something else?

Thanks for the help in advance 8)

Hey Blondino,

I have built quite a few of these add ons and the preamp itself of course. It is a really nice version of the EQ section as you can use a wide variety of capacitor makes, including vintage mustard caps, if you have them.

If you get stuck for advice, try David at [email protected], he is a jolly nice chap..

Trouble is, finding these in stock, you can get you can get 71BDF30-01-1-AJN from US Farnell, 71BDF30-01-2-AJN from US Digikey but nowhere seems to have 71BDF30-03-1-AJN (unless you backorder 25!) -  finding a 71BDF30-03-1-AJN won't matter if you are only building the add-on EQ and you have the preamp already, and my usual go-to place,  AML, is quoting back in stock by Nov this year. I don't know why this is, whether it is Covid-19 related or manufacturing problems..

I think Blore-Edwards are prototyping an equivalent switch designed by themselves (or at least this is the hint on their Facebook page), but this is only a guess and who knows when it will be available and how much it will cost... I tried messaging them, but didn't get a reply..

You want:

- 1 x 71BDF30-03-1-AJN - for the preamp gain switch (1 pole, 12 position, 3 gang) - you don't need this if you already have the preamp
- 1 x 71BDF30-01-1-AJN - for one of the eq freq selectors (1 pole, 12 position, 1 gang)
- 2 x 71BDF30-01-2-AJN - for two of the eq freq selectors (2 pole, 6 position, 1 gang)

Unfortunately you have to get the right switches (71BDF for through hole, not 71BD wired, AJN non-shorting, not AJS shorting, the AJS CAPI ones won't do).

Good luck hunting..

Thx, Mark

mesajoe said:
Hey Blondino,

I have built quite a few of these add ons and the preamp itself of course. It is a really nice version of the EQ section as you can use a wide variety of capacitor makes, including vintage mustard caps, if you have them.

If you get stuck for advice, try David at [email protected], he is a jolly nice chap..

Trouble is, finding these in stock, you can get you can get 71BDF30-01-1-AJN from US Farnell, 71BDF30-01-2-AJN from US Digikey but nowhere seems to have 71BDF30-03-1-AJN (unless you backorder 25!) -  finding a 71BDF30-03-1-AJN won't matter if you are only building the add-on EQ and you have the preamp already, and my usual go-to place,  AML, is quoting back in stock by Nov this year. I don't know why this is, whether it is Covid-19 related or manufacturing problems..

I think Blore-Edwards are prototyping an equivalent switch designed by themselves (or at least this is the hint on their Facebook page), but this is only a guess and who knows when it will be available and how much it will cost... I tried messaging them, but didn't get a reply..

You want:

- 1 x 71BDF30-03-1-AJN - for the preamp gain switch (1 pole, 12 position, 3 gang) - you don't need this if you already have the preamp
- 1 x 71BDF30-01-1-AJN - for one of the eq freq selectors (1 pole, 12 position, 1 gang)
- 2 x 71BDF30-01-2-AJN - for two of the eq freq selectors (2 pole, 6 position, 1 gang)

Unfortunately you have to get the right switches (71BDF for through hole, not 71BD wired, AJN non-shorting, not AJS shorting, the AJS CAPI ones won't do).

Good luck hunting..

Thx, Mark

Thanks Mark,
you have no idea how helpful you have been right now. Yea I already contacted David several times, but I don't wanna bother to much, especially for those shopping situation. I already checked all the stores you mentioned and i also emailed Grayhill factory about the 3 gang preamp switch. They reply to me that the same model is in stock at "Brevan Electronics Inc" and "Master Electronics", but the part number is #71BDF30‍‐03PAJS.
So I look up the web sites and I found this part number on Brevan website. The picture doesn't match the switch but I emailed them on monday I guess with no reply yet.
I was hoping that the CAPI one would work :-[. I need to make a purchase there, fortunally I didn't get them, but I also asked Jeff about it.

I will certainly check Blore Edwards out. As far as the switch has same functionality and especially  quality, I don't really care about the brand :)

I still haven't start the kit yet since I'm waiting on mauser components, and also them have a lot of stuff out of stock. I will be patience.

Thanks again Mark, now at least I have the right codes and I won't make mistakes

mesajoe said:
Hey Blondino,

Glad my ramblings were of help, that's the power of this forum..

Let us know how you get on..

Thx,
Mark  :)

Hey Mark,
Even if I have 3 backorder on the way for components (and no grayhill yet  :-[) I started the build, since the guide need more attention that I thought. Anyway, since you made a few already, do you have any advice for rookies :D.

I'm not sure what good cable I can use to extends the pots. The inside of an audio cable or the remains of an output transformer can work as a 20AWG/24AWG like in the description manual? or should I get the right ones?

I'll keep you post it how it goes :D

Just finished my first one of these (NV73EQ complete), sounds so good. Not sure why there isn't much activity here but managed the fairly straightforward build with only a couple of sloppy mistakes. I want to build another for stereo drum bus, wondering though will I need to match values with DMM of certain resistors to have a nice stereo balance, any tips please?

(Oh ignore my EQ bypass switch in the photo, one of my sloppy mistakes  ;D should have been on the reverse)

tomheavybeats said:
Just finished my first one of these (NV73EQ complete), sounds so good. Not sure why there isn't much activity here but managed the fairly straightforward build with only a couple of sloppy mistakes. I want to build another for stereo drum bus, wondering though will I need to match values with DMM of certain resistors to have a nice stereo balance, any tips please?

Hey Tom, where did you find the grayhills switches?

Audio Maintenance Limited had them earlier this year. Colin said lead time was 12 weeks but after placing order, all the goods showed up within 2 weeks, even those showing as sold out. Speak to Colin is your best bet. Have you tried Digikey too?

I check AML since January but nothing yet. Digikey doesn't have them. There is another place that is selling pack of 25, but I have no need and not that kind of money :D...
I'll wait on AML then.
Thanks

Blondino said:
I check AML since January but nothing yet. Digikey doesn't have them. There is another place that is selling pack of 25, but I have no need and not that kind of money :D...
I'll wait on AML then.
Thanks

Hi Blondino, same for me here, I'm planning to order the don NV73 but the grayhill issue is a bit annoing for me. Where did you see the 25 pack, and how much was it? Maybe we can share a pack or something? What do you think?

Cdp said:
Hi Blondino, same for me here, I'm planning to order the don NV73 but the grayhill issue is a bit annoing for me. Where did you see the 25 pack, and how much was it? Maybe we can share a pack or something? What do you think?

Is more then an hour I'm looking for that link and I can't find it... Seems like every major online store are waiting to be supplied anyway. I know how annoying is this thing, having to finish a build since a year was not on my plans. Anyway, the pack was a minimum of 25 and the price was like 17/18$ each. At the end still too expensive to share in 2.(unless we are more :D). But again, I can't find it anymore

I tried to mail colin at audio maintenance, still waiting for an answer.
I want to built 4 of them but can't wait a year to finish them....

Is 17-18$ a normal price or is it expensive? it's true that it's a lot of money, maybe we can find other people to join us? I mean, we are not the only guys building this lovely thing hey!!

the link was this one:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/grayhill-inc/71BDF30-03-1-AJN/530760?s=N4IgTCBcDaIOwEYBCARAYgZgAwFosZwRwEEApAORAF0BfIA

is more than 17/18$ plus I need the other 2 for the Eq. If you need 3 and I need one, we just need somebody that needs 24  ;D...
And I moved to Spain, I don't know where are do you live. This can be also another pain :(

Ha yes, it's a bit more :'(
And I think this model is only for the mic pre gain, the ones for the eq are differents

I live in south of france so it won't be an issue if we want :)
I hope to build 6 or 8 NV73, 2 of them with the Eq add on.
Don't have all the money at the moment but wenever I can find the switch I think I will buy and keep them in a drawer ready to use!!

Cdp said:
Ha yes, it's a bit more :'(
And I think this model is only for the mic pre gain, the ones for the eq are differents

I live in south of france so it won't be an issue if we want :)
I hope to build 6 or 8 NV73, 2 of them with the Eq add on.
Don't have all the money at the moment but wenever I can find the switch I think I will buy and keep them in a drawer ready to use!!

Did you end up buying the switches? I'm in need of two for mic pre gain ez1290.

There’s a little hack if you can’t find the exact right switches:

One thing you can do is to get a switch that has extra gangs and cut them down. For Example I got the 71BDF30-06-1-AJN instead of the 71BDF30-03-1-AJN because I found a place that has some stock. I opened up the screws, cut and filed down the threads with a Dremel, put it all back together and it worked like a charm.

So finally I found the switches after a while and I'm getting this baby done...
Quick question before I make a silly mistake since is the first time I need to pin the grayhill switches.
In the picture below is the common way to put the pins, but to get the extra 10Khz I should put the presence pin where I marked, right? And I don't need to move the shafts or anything before inserting the pin correct?
thanks guys

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.22.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.22.48 AM.png
    212 KB · Views: 21
Back