MicandMod 1176 Kit - any experiences ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteC

Hi
I am in the UK and have been looking for 1176 kits ( rev D and Rev A ) to build up for my small studio.

Import tax duties on US kits make them much less attractive in the UK so I have been looking at the micandmod kits from France.
I am just about to pull the trigger but wanted to see if there are any existing customers on groupdiy.

http://micandmod.com/en/110-1176

Does anyone have any experience of these kits and any feedback on them ?  They look just like the Hairball kits.

Many thanks
Pete

I've got one here unstarted, bought off eBay but not Mic&Mod. It's nicely packaged & put together as a kit

I looked at buying Hairball kits as well but the final cost when imported is similar to a Warm Audio 1176 so it makes no sense

I suspect the cheapest way to build an 1176-alike would be to use one of Gustav's Phat Fet or Symettrical Fet kits and source the parts from Farnell & etc

Phat Fet
https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=154

If you want a visual clone then you'll have to budget for a front panel, meter, two switch banks & etc. With UK prices they won't end up being cheap

I'd be interested to see which way you jump as I want to build a couple of 1176 clones

Nick Froome

Hi

I have ordered the MicandMod 1176 Rev D. kit so will post my experience with it when its here and I'm building.
Cheers
Pete

Now thinking about a bluey as well....... ::)

Well ,  parcel arrived today only a few days after ordering online.

I have to say the 1176 kit turned up very well packed and presented......Mnats Red D Board with French Vintage Microphones TXs.
So far looks very good indeed for the price if you are in the EU.

Haven't checked through all components yet but looks like good quality stuff !

Fast service - I am impressed so far.

Pete

Hi All

well its finished!!

its basically a Re-branded Hairball kit as far as I can tell. But the price and service to UK from France were excellent and the build went great.  The input and output transformers are Vintage Mics own clones of teh original UREI units I believe. They dosound good in any case.

After a bit of troubleshooting a few dodgy solder joints in the meter driver section the unit is working perfectly and sounding great in my small studio set up.  The only issue I had was with the meter lamp which burned out after about and hours use with the supplied 33 Ohm 2w resistor.  I have fitted a tiny 12v wheat bulb into the Hairball meter with a 330 Ohm 3watt limiting resistor and now its just fine.

Would highly recommend the kits at MicandMod.

Cheers
Pete

Packaging is nice, price is great. It's basically a great alternative to Hairball for people in Europe.

Pete, for the VU lamp, did you use the 25V taps on the Power transformer (as in typical Hairball builds)? I seem to have gotten a 3d secondary with [email protected] with the toroidal they gave in the kit. Seems just right for a 12V bulb.

PeteC said:
Hi All

well its finished!!

its basically a Re-branded Hairball kit as far as I can tell. But the price and service to UK from France were excellent and the build went great.  The input and output transformers are Vintage Mics own clones of teh original UREI units I believe. They dosound good in any case.

After a bit of troubleshooting a few dodgy solder joints in the meter driver section the unit is working perfectly and sounding great in my small studio set up.  The only issue I had was with the meter lamp which burned out after about and hours use with the supplied 33 Ohm 2w resistor.  I have fitted a tiny 12v wheat bulb into the Hairball meter with a 330 Ohm 3watt limiting resistor and now its just fine.

Would highly recommend the kits at MicandMod.

Cheers
Pete

that micnmod guy's a dirt bag, shame on anyone from this place who buys from that bottom feeder Yannick, the reason it looks like a hairball kit is because it is a hairball kit... verbatim, just like all the other stuff he's plundering from guys like chunger, poctop, danderlou, Mike, ioaudio etc, i thought everyone knew the score with this punk? DONT BUY FROM MICNMOD aka STEALNROB, he's the antispirit of GDIY.

I cant in all good conscience like the last post but I am in sympathy with the sentiment. That person has done nothing to ingratiate themselves to this community. They should be well elsewhere. I suggest you search this forum and go to my webpage for more. :( 

Hi,
I'm located in Europe so was going to buy some stuff from that micmod shop because of duty and shipping expenses from the US being quite high.

Could you please elaborate more on what happened? who is this guy and what is he doing?

If it's a bad fellow I will not buy from him I just need to understand why

thanks

Whoops said:
Hi,
I'm located in Europe so was going to buy some stuff from that micmod shop because of duty and shipping expenses from the US being quite high.

Could you please elaborate more on what happened? who is this guy and what is he doing?

thanks

he is actually copying and reproducing the work of others (hairball, gyraf etc..) without giving credit or anything. As far as i can tell the kits and pcb's are the same

weiss said:
Whoops said:
Hi,

thanks

he is actually copying and reproducing the work of others (hairball, gyraf etc..) without giving credit or anything. As far as i can tell the kits and pcb's are the same

Search around here. Look for a now banned user named, Yannick and Yankimusic. Go to my website and check the blog section. I don't want to pollute the waters here.

Ok,
I've read some threads on the subject and there's no ethics in this guy,
stealing the work of Max and telling in his website it was "his engineers" that designed a U47 circuit with 2 tubes to replace the VF14 thats an outrage. And also all the layouts from other fellow members that worked hard to present new improved layout to the community that he steal or did straight copies.

Also I checked the GSSL page on the site and it says "Printed Circuit Boards for build the GSSL Bus Compressor (from Gyraf Audio). Perfect recreation of vintage British Console 4000 Bus Compressor", thats a big lie and misleading to costumers, that mainly are newbies into the DIY scene and don't really know that the GSSL is not designed to work in the same way as the SSL Bus compressor on the consoles, so no it's Not a perfect recreation of the SSL classic Bus Compressor it's different, was just inspired by it.

I guess in this White market era where part of this great forum became a Supermarket with so many people using the forum with a commercial intention of having a bussiness for profit this situations will happen more often in the future, Unfortunately.

I don't see a problem in having kits similar to Hairball audio for sale,  it's just a commercial kit and everyone can freely compete in selling an alternative.  I'm saying this with the knowledge I have if there's more let me know.
But stealing the work of others and selling it as it was your own and lying to costumers just shows a total lack of Ethics and Integrity.

That store will not get a penny from me and I will advise everyone to do the same.

Makes me Miss the time of collective efforts and designs, of group buys without Kits or a White Market.

Tiring, really. It looks like he pulled it, though.

He could've stolen any EQ board design, and he chose the PQD2!

I am flattered.  ;)

Gustav

Take a look at the description in the linked picture.  ;D

"Find the recreations..."

Their goal is basically, find any recreations of vintage stuff and rob it for their own profit  8)

In fact, I was just amused by the description. Probably they simply didn't spelled their thoughts in good terms...I hope so loool

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    351.8 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back